Killing time

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Newt
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Killing time

Post by Newt »

Just can't get past the Kalishnikov part. I don't feel comfortable with AR's. That's why I bought a Mini 14, :D

Newt
ALLIGATOR LAKE

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Newt wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:21 pm Just can't get past the Kalishnikov part.

Newt
I completely understand that. The ideology that produce the weapons is disgusting to me. Knowing how many times they have been used against free people doesn't sit well with me either. As a machinist I appreciate the simple deign. As a shooter I love the rugged effectiveness. I own many choices of firearms, my goal is to have enough platforms to overlap themselves should the need arise. I think the Mini is a good choice as well for those that don't take to the AR. You won't have repair options like an AR owner if the SHTF, so keep back up critical parts on hand.

Newt
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Newt »

I'd like to have a Socom 1. But, a Min is less expensive and so are 5.56/.223 vs 7.62/.308.

Newt
ALLIGATOR LAKE

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I’ve been having and internal 556 v 308 debate for too long. I’m good for about 500yd either way (core profile). The 308 feels right as a “stop right there” tool. But it sure is easy to get a lot more 556 diwnrange in a short period of time. At some point I need to just shrug and get both.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater »

Split the difference and go with a 300 Blackout .
Novi 23 finally launched !

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Newt wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:21 pm Just can't get past the Kalishnikov part. I don't feel comfortable with AR's. That's why I bought a Mini 14, :D

Newt
The Sig Sauer model 556 is great non-Kalashnikov weapon that is optionally chambered in 7.62x39.
The nice part about the 7.62x39 is the ammo is cheap, much cheaper than 308.
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

topwater wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:45 am Split the difference and go with a 300 Blackout .
Availability. You can get 566 and 308 at the grocery store. Not sure where I’d even get 300 locally without waiting for an order. Which is why the next hand cannon will be a 9 or 45. Tiered of running an ammo store just for me.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

Jaysen wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:04 am
topwater wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:45 am Split the difference and go with a 300 Blackout .
Availability. You can get 566 and 308 at the grocery store. Not sure where I’d even get 300 locally without waiting for an order. Which is why the next hand cannon will be a 9 or 45. Tiered of running an ammo store just for me.
No worries with the 300 B/O getting ammo. I haven't bought ammo at a brick and mortar store in years. 500-1000 at a time online is waaaaaaaayyyyyyy cheaper and easier. If the perverbial SHTF, you're gonna rely on your stockpile or whatever the guy was carrying when you shot him (assuming of course he was a threat :lol: )

308 and 223 are vastly different cartridges which both serve their own unique purpose(s)...so get both. And the 300 and the 7.62x39 just to be safe.
Saved by the Blood of Jesus!
See my XF20 Build Thread

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

And now you’ve made the Mrs sh!t list. Only because I’ve been saying that myself and the last thing I need is support.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

[/quote]
No worries with the 300 B/O getting ammo. I haven't bought ammo at a brick and mortar store in years. 500-1000 at a time online is waaaaaaaayyyyyyy cheaper and easier. If the perverbial SHTF, you're gonna rely on your stockpile or whatever the guy was carrying when you shot him (assuming of course he was a threat :lol: )

308 and 223 are vastly different cartridges which both serve their own unique purpose(s)...so get both. And the 300 and the 7.62x39 just to be safe.
[/quote]

BINGO! My plan exactly!