New Outboard for RB14

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
jtdums
Active Poster
Active Poster

New Outboard for RB14

Post by jtdums »

It is past time to look for motors for our soon to be completed RB14 build. I'm in the fortunate position to be shopping for a new motor for only the second time in my life. Kind of overwhelmed so I thought I would lean of the experience of those of you who have already been so helpful.

The RB14 was built for a 15" short shaft motor. I didn't realize that the offerings by the major motor guys out there might be a little limited.

Although it can, by design, handle up to 35hp without an issue, the new motors of that size are pretty heavy. The current practical size limited by vendor and weight is 25/30hp. I need remote steering and electric start, and would like power trim/tilt.

Here are my questions for the more experienced outboard buyers among you.

Is there much of a difference between 25hp and 30hp in today's market? Some motors are just aspirated differently and maybe run at slightly higher WOT to gain the extra 5hp. Why would anyone turn that down? For that matter is 25hp "enough" for the RB14? (Geir is the only one I know who has built one and I think he was running a two stroke 30-35hp)

In some brands, the power trim/tilt isn't available (Yamaha F25 for example). I love being able to trim my other boat and find it handles better so should I only consider those outboards with power trim? Has anyone ever added the after market tilt/trim plates (like this one http://thmarine.com/cmc-pt-35-tilt-and- ... p-to-35-hpand can you relate your experience? Would moving the outboard aft 4" change the handing? Improve the handling? Ruin the aesthetics?

Without getting into a "best" motor debate (I know that can turn ugly fast.) Can anyone point to any brands to avoid?

Is it worth holding off a few weeks and trying for one of the "boat show deals" that crop up?

Is an extended warrantee worth some added expense? (We hope to own the boat for many years and Kyla is forbidden to part with it while I'm at least still kicking.)

Thanks for any help and opinions are welcome and solicited.
-Jim (the wallet) and Kyla (the daughter avoiding sanding at the moment)
Sanding is cathartic...

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: New Outboard for RB14

Post by Capt UB »

Jim,

Take a look at this place, no taxes and free shipping. I bought my 2017 Tohatsu 9.8 4 stroke Electric start and charging system, $ 2,100. Hope my dog loves that motor!

Onlineoutboards.com

0404171617.jpg

tcason
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by tcason »

I do not think CMT PT 35 option would be a positive for the "look" of this style boat.

jtdums
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jtdums »

Thanks Capt,
They ship only the "portable" models so most top out at 20hp.

However, I'm intrigued by the Suzuki DF25ATS2 which is the exact configuration I want (even power trim/tilt) for $4070. out the door. Very interesting....
Sanding is cathartic...

jtdums
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jtdums »

tcason wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:08 pm I do not think CMT PT 35 option would be a positive for the "look" of this style boat.
That is what I was thinking too... makes it a bit harder to find the right motor then.
Thanks for the feedback.
Sanding is cathartic...

jtdums
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jtdums »

Just to provide other with some information that I have found out thus far, Suzuki is the only outboard company that I have found so far that will allow their outboards to be shipped direct to the buyer from a dealer with the remote controls instead of tiller. (They still consider any motor up to 30hp portable even with all the options.)

Also, Capt's lead has panned out well. Suzuki is offering a free extended warrantee until end of the year. Covered for 6 years.

I might be falling in love.
Sanding is cathartic...

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

jtdums wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:25 pm Just to provide other with some information that I have found out thus far, Suzuki is the only outboard company that I have found so far that will allow their outboards to be shipped direct to the buyer from a dealer with the remote controls instead of tiller. (They still consider any motor up to 30hp portable even with all the options.)

Also, Capt's lead has panned out well. Suzuki is offering a free extended warrantee until end of the year. Covered for 6 years.

I might be falling in love.

With the outboard...right!

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

The 25 and 30 HP Suzuki motors have the same specifications basically. So you might as well go for the 30 it will not give you a lot more speed as I have found running my calculations but maybe 3-4 mph's. A four blade propeller will help in your steering and maintaining running control. You may or may not get a 3 blade aluminum prop with the Suzuki.

I like the Suzuki's good motors. Be aware the Onlineoutboards 30HP is a 20" shaft. Check with them if you can get a short shaft. Also remember a short shaft may not be 15" it may be 17".

Tom
Last edited by TomW1 on Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Tom, what makes you like Suzuki motors?
Have you ever owned one?
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Thanks for asking RIchard, no but have several friends that have and they have never had a problem. Also Larry's brother belonged to a club that used Suzuki's and swore by them and I talked to there service manager. Since I can't get a Yamaha around here I would have gone that way if I hadn't gotten No Excuse. Take care.

Tom
Last edited by TomW1 on Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978