XF 20 Build

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
CatfishHunter
Active Poster
Active Poster

XF 20 Build

Post by CatfishHunter »

So I purchased the unfinished hull from rtboating here on the forum. I saw the ad locally and jumped on it. Roy dropped off the boat yesterday and it's sitting in her new home for a few months. I just got my guide license this summer and plan on turning this into a guide boat for here in Homosassa. I'll have lot's of questions and any help will be greatly appreciated.

my main questions are going to be about the layout of the boat once i get to that point. I'm familiar with the glassing process as this wont be my first time doing fiberglass but will be the first time using epoxy...

Cpt. Sean Roush
Attachments
PB190056.JPG
PB190055.JPG
PB190054.JPG
PB190053.JPG
PB190052.JPG

CatfishHunter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: XF 20 Build

Post by CatfishHunter »

My first concern is the outside of the hull. It is pretty much finished and coated with steelflex on the bottom(previous owners work). i've noticed lot's of air bubbles on the sides. how much of a concern is this?

I plan on sanding down the bad ones and re glassing over them with a combination of drilling a small hole and trying to inject the smaller ones... Or should i bite the bullet now and sand down the sides completely and restart???

Anyways off to start mixing epoxy and starting to fillet these stringers in...
Attachments
PB190057.JPG

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

I think you'll love working with epoxy. Good luck with the build! :D
If it were me and from the large amount of air in the cloth, I would take it down. The real concern to me is if the painted glass on the bottom looked that way before paint. Hopefully others will chime in.

CatfishHunter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by CatfishHunter »

that port side there is the really bad part the transom and and starboard side arnt to bad... I'm guess the 1708 didn't get enough resin in it...

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

Eric1 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:39 am . The real concern to me is if the painted glass on the bottom looked that way before paint.
It does look like that under the paint, look at the waterline spots don't end in a straight line like in the picture
You're sure it's air/dry spots not just sanded spots? it's hard to tell from the picture

CatfishHunter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by CatfishHunter »

My camera tends to embellish things a bit alot of it is sanding but alot of air too...previous owner states " The bottom was fine the only delams I had was those couple of spots on side and on that top line"

I'm going to take his word for it for now and only sand out the really bad spots. if i do redo it it will be after i finish the inside of the boat.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Just took a closer look at your pictures. I don't believe the previous builder used marine plywood. You've said you wanted this boat for charter. That being the case I'm pointing this out to you. If it's not marine plywood it won't hold up.
Last thing I see, and it maybe the camera, is the wood on the inside appears to have black mold growing on it. If you go further with glass on this wood you should consider killing that off before you put epoxy and glass over it.
Understand in no way am I busting your chops, I'm just looking out for you.

CatfishHunter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by CatfishHunter »

it's marine plywood I know that for sure. as for the boat I hit the entire inside with 60 grit sand paper to knock of the dirt and grime, blew it out, and wiped everything with acetone. primed all joints with epoxy then used west systems 405 fillet filler mixed with epoxy to fillet everything in. Next to tab everything in with the biaxle tape. The working time on this slow cure epoxy is amazing compared to poly...
Attachments
PB190062.JPG
PB190061.JPG
PB190060.JPG
Last edited by CatfishHunter on Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CatfishHunter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by CatfishHunter »

a picture of the finished fillet, ready for tape... I cant get the pictures to upload in order.
Attachments
PB190066.JPG

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

As I understood it's the type of lamination glue that makes ply marine ply so I'm not sure how to detect that from pics, fillets and tape I would have done wet on wet but that's me.