OD Boarding Ladder

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
anflyer
Active Poster
Active Poster

OD Boarding Ladder

Post by anflyer »

What is everybody using on their OD's to board. I haven't seen any ladders mounted. Right now the plan is the small platform / ladder combo they sell that mounts to the transom.

Any ideas?

anflyer

DrBones
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by DrBones »

I saw something pretty neat. I copied these pics off of the web since I thought about doing this myself. I believe it's from the Skiff America builder (please forgive me! - I certainly hope you don't mind I post this here if you read this!)

Pretty nifty idea and appears to work! - Again: This is to be credited to the builder of the Skiff America (who's web page I can't find right now)

anflyer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by anflyer »

Thanks DrBones, that idea does seem pretty nifty.

haven't see any new pics lately on your web site, ( :lol: get to work I need some more ideas :lol: ) how far have you progressed.

anflyer

anflyer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by anflyer »

JimW :help: , you posted this a while back on another thread. Do you by any chance have a picture of this (mini platform)??

I know exactly what you mean and what you need. I put a small step on my D15, Jacques saw it last year. The bottom panel on one side is extended about 4 inches and the step is about six inches wide. Any bigger and "roll" trim will be impacted. For a large step/platform, I have built it for boats before. I build a "one side of transom" platform hinged off the transom with hinges with removable stainless pins. Supported with a cable or plastic tubing shrowded chain. The platform can be "spring loaded" to the up position with the right length bungy cord. When mine is done I´ll post pics but it will be a month or more. I have dived on dozens of boats using these "mini" or half platforms. They are GREAT!

anflyer

DrBones
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by DrBones »

Yeah..lets get some info on this here!

I agree, I do need to spend some time on my web site and update it. I'm pretty much done with the boat and have it sitting on its trailer now waiting for a working engine... I'll post an update on another thread to keep this one on track about homebuilt stern steps/ladders! :P

JimW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by JimW »

I'll try to remember to take a picture of mine. Mine does not have the lower step. I like his design with the extra step being supported so it doesn't swing under when used. That is a problem for some getting in my boat from deep water, (divers and skiers). I thnik I could modify mine to have that type lower step! Thanks for the idea.
Jim Wright
CC, D15, SC16, C19

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Any swim platform or ladder will fit. Our boats are not different from any others and swim platforms sell for less than $ 100.00 at WEST Marine.
It is not worth making your own unless you enjoy the process.
Check the Garelick platforms, if I remember well they start at around $ 60.00.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

anflyer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by anflyer »

JimW, thanks we'll be waiting for the photo :D

Jacques, all of the platforms seem to be 18" wide which seems to be too wide, that's why I would love to see what others have done with their OD's.

anflyer

anflyer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by anflyer »

EvilD, how have you been climbing back onto your bateau after a refreshing dip in the big blue?? :P

jasonmcintosh
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jasonmcintosh »

I bought a nice metal ladder from Outdoor World for $50. It folds down. They had a two step and three step version. I bought the two step since my transom is rather short and I don't plan on using it too much.

I looked at the ladders on their website, but didn't see this particular one shown. However, they did have them at the store. I REALLY like the ladder. Well made, and is very secure being screwed into the transom with eight screws.

Unfortunately there's no platform to speak of, just steps.

jason
Last edited by jasonmcintosh on Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hopefully fishing from my GF18