The Plytanic 2.0 - FS17 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

The Plytanic 2.0 - FS17 Build

Post by silentneko »

FS17 build, Take 2, lol. As some of you guys know I ran into some trouble building my last strong back and frames. I had something off to where I couldn't line up the stringers correctly. This could be because I tried to modify the stringer height, or transom thickness. Either way it bothered me enough to where I just wanted to start over. I'm going to build the shell to plans then make some modifications after the hull is flipped over.

So the last strong back I tried using 2x4x8's as they were the best thing I could find. Even though I leveled and straightened them as best as I could I can't be sure the issue wasn't there. I'm not willing to try that again so I decided to build my own strong back runners.

I got a piece of Sanded ply. Cut it into 6" strips and laminated it together.

Even after all that I wasn't 100% happy, so I snapped a chalk line and cut them down to 5.5". This is as straight as I can possibly get it!

A couple of notes here. I was amazed how many screws I used building the previous strong back. If you think you have enough, double it.
Also I went to go buy one of those big nice drywall squares to cut my new frames with. Well they are pinned together parts to make the 90 degrees, which I don't like, I wanted a one piece tool. I decided to check them prior to buying, and by the time you are 48" out they were at least 3/16" off! I guess drywall doesn't need to be that accurate, but I'll stick to a t-square and ruler.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: The Plytanic 2.0 - FS17 Build

Post by Fuzz »

Good move, now you will not have something bugging you in the back of your mind for the whole build. The base for your frames is like the foundation of your house, if it ain't right nothing is right.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Like all things dry wall squares depend on the pride of the manufacturer. My builder would never allow 3/8" difference over 4' nor would I. There are squares out there that are dead on but you pay for them. When I was laying out my C17 which I never finished I double checked it for square and it was right on, but it cost me $$.

Tom
Last edited by TomW1 on Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

All edges on drywall are covered. And mud covers just able every possible error. So yeah... no need for square.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

I was hoping to get a lot done today, but the kids are off of school. I did manage to get the strong back finished.

It is square to withing 1/16", and level across 6 fields length wise and 4 across the beam. I don't think I can get it any closer.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Good work silentneko!!! Jeff

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

There’s a trick for right angles on this website. Use a full sheet of ply. Line it up and slide it across the other sheet.

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

I was trying to do something similar ealier, but I'm out of room. My garage inventory has grown over the years, tools, rolling tool chest, standing saw, work bench..... I under estimated the amount of room the FS17 needed to be built. Not a big deal, I can make it work, but I'm suckling in my gut to get around some places, lol.

Marshall Moser
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Marshall Moser »

You can also use trigonometry as a "square".

A 3"x4"x5" triangle is a right triangle.

Any multiple of this holds true, 6x8x10, 9x12x15, 12x16x20.

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

I did that to double check my last frames. Mostly I'm using a large framing square (big metal triangle) and a thick ruler, which work out very accurate. I saw a drywall T recommend on one of the old tutorials here so figured I'd try.