The Plytanic 2.0 - FS17 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: The Plytanic 2.0 - FS17 Build

Post by narfi »

Your panels look symmetrical....
Can you hang your side panels on and see how it looks?

I would think if they look good, then you could grind a little down on the points touching and fill a little extra in the gaps without any real issues?

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

They are symmetrical, but the butted joints are just a bit off square. So I squeeze one end and it's way off on the other. Upwards of 3/4". I can reshape them by hand, but then they won't match the framing cause I'll have to grind away a lot. I guess I can just fill it all in with thickened epoxy? Not thrilled about that option though.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Looking at your previous picture with the panels flat on the ground, the picture with the jugs on the tape splice, I see a flat line along the keel side curve.
That is probably a large part of the gap.

IMHO this is an acceptable gap. I would keep going.
Do not worry about the panels fitting perfectly on the frames. That will happen especially close to the bow. The frames will support the panel but at this point we car mostly about fairness.
Another point to pay attention to is the droopy bow. Pull the tip of the bow back with a line or use a bow mold.
I think I see a bow mold, not certain.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Build on Silentneko!!!! Jeff

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

It looks flat, but it's a subtle curve there. The issue starts further back at the joint of the 2 panels. I can knock down the point a bit more and fit it better. Is it OK to fill in a large gap with epoxy thickened with wood flour and milled fibers? Or will it create an issue later on?

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I may be slower than a box of rocks covered in molasses sitting on Fuzz’s door step, but I don’t see the problem there. Is it the gap?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

Yes, it's quite a bit more then the 1/4" typically deemed acceptable. It also goes down most of the keel. I can make it work, but it's going to take a significant more amount of resin and filler. I'll have to get some backing under it so it doesn't just fall through. I'm formulating a plan here, lol.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Packing tape. Stitch it all together and use some tape on one side to prevent fall out. Use wood scraps to fill really wide spots and then thickened epoxy like normal.

If that didn’t work, quite a number of these boats wouldn’t be floating. :)
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Yes it is more than most gaps but it is not a big deal.
If you think that you can solve the problem by trimming the spots where the panels push against each other, do it.
If not, later when you fiberglass the inside, add a layer or two of biaxial tape along that seam, over the gap.

Also, things may even out when you add the side panel.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

I think I'll end up doing both. Reshape a bit, and add some extra cloth on the inside. This is the major hump, once I get past this basic shaping the rest of the build I know will be more fun. I'm even looking forward to fairing to a good work boat finish.