Cape Man's Dory

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Cape Man's Dory

Post by glossieblack »

Fuzz wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:23 pm Bet it feels like you have a whole new boat.
Given Clara's recent restoration work, particularly the deck work, then transom rebuild work, and now the new engine/repowering work, I'm with Fuzz, she must flee like a 'born again' new boat. :D

I really like the way you've continued your original build thread by adding, over the years, significant recreational milestones, as well as significant maintenance and rebuild milestones, the latest being the engine repower.

As a reader/leaner, this approach works better for me than the more common build thread then splash thread sequence.

After all, in the journey of building, maintaining, using, enjoying, and modifying/refining a boat over the years, splashing is but an incremental step.

Thankyou for documenting about the most instructive and amusing build-maintenance- refinement rebuild thread. 8) 8)
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

Sweet as good as new 8) Congrats 8)

cape man

Post by cape man »

Thanks David, Richard, Jeff, and Michael.

I think I'm going to ask Jamie to move the clamping board repair over here as well. I agree that a splash is just the second stage in this adventure, and documenting everything after is part of the value for future builders.

One huge thing I want to emphasize is the 8 great years running a 40 on her. Jacque's boats are all designed with efficiency being at the top of his mind, and an OD18 will perform beautifully with a 40, especially if you don't (and even if you do) exceed the design weight by 50%! :roll: when I started this journey I was in a very different financial situation and built her around an engine I owned, a consideration that many might find themselves needing to make. I am just lucky to have the ability to buy a new motor today, and could have run her another 8 years with that 40.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man »

Two men and light gear. WOT turned 5300 and hit 32 mph.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

So how was it at that speed? Run flat or nose in the air? Handle well?
5300 rpm sounds like you are right at the bottom of the rpm range. I bet a little prop work will be a big help.

cape man

Post by cape man »

She ran really flat and well! A little scary to go that fast in a boat I'm used to going slower...

Yeah, going to do some more testing as it was a little choppy today, but I'm thinking at least go down to a 15 inch pitch.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Good results Cape Man!! Jeff

Steven

Post by Steven »

That's awesome. Congrats on the new Power. I love my Yammy.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Looks like a sweet ride.

The only thing better than a Yammy is a bigger Yammy! :lol:

cape man

Post by cape man »

Thank you Jamie for moving everything here.

Yesterday I installed a new switch and electric motor on the hydraulic jack plate. The motor brushes were nasty, and the switch lost the hot lead. Found the switch for $31.50 on Amazon, and a friend had anew to me assembly off a Mercruiser hydraulic trim tilt. Exact same motor, but the pump had different outs for the hoses. After going to 5 different places in Ruskin, I ended up just swapping the motors. Working like a champ! Need to run a new wire between motor and switch, and waiting for an all around, anchor light for the cowling. Put a new bilge pump in as well.

Hoping to test some stainless props next week.