OB17-new CNC kit project

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: OB17-new CNC kit project

Post by Jeff »

Woodenyouknowit, very nice progress and thank you for posting the photos!! Jeff

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

Woodenyouknowit wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:30 pm I finally settled on the OB17 plans, so went ahead and bought the CNC okume kit as well as the silvertip epoxy kit sold on the OB17 page. Picked up the pallet of sheets at the local freight terminal, and proceeded to get started on this major investment now taking up residence in my shop. Built the jig, glued the stringers and transom clamping boards, attached the molds to the jig, zip-tied and fillet-glued the hull pieces, fiberglass taped the seams, and am starting to fiberglass the hull.
Once I figure out how to put annotated pictures on here I'll post them in chronological order, and proceed to post the building progress from there to give and receive useful advice from fellow OB17 builders. There is a wealth of information on these forums and I've been trying to absorb all these good tips so I won't look back on any mistakes.
It's kinda fun to hear people say "you're building a WHAT? in your shop??" :D
I thought I was moving fast! The CnC kit was a smart move on my part, made for an easy start. I'm in central Florida, so weather has (HAS BEEN WARM), no longer! Have fun and take your time.... I'm building in an open carport, my neighbors in the beginning asked "what are you building", now they stop by and ask hows "the build going"... Got to love the attention!

Steven
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Steven »

That's nothing compared to the feeling you get from the attention at the boat ramp. Or at the gas station on the way to the boat ramp. :)

Woodenyouknowit
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woodenyouknowit »

Thanks for the comments!
After finishing the rubrail (3 layers 1/4" okume strips 1.5" wide, gelmagiced on without any screws or nails) and keel skeg (1" cypress and round-over router, also gelmagiced on without any fasteners), I am slowing down and cogitating on the spray rail. I ain't about to spend ~$400 for a Taco rail or Smart-rail, so will have to make my own out of wood, and figure out how to gelmagic it onto the chine once again without any fasteners. If the Smart rail can hold with adhesive only, then surely a homemade wood rail can hold with gelmagic only and covered with fiberglass....
I'll experiment with the table saw and make something that can bend and be functional as a spray rail, like maybe a 2-layer rail....

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

Woodenyouknowit wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:12 pm Thanks for the comments!
After finishing the rubrail (3 layers 1/4" okume strips 1.5" wide, gelmagiced on without any screws or nails) and keel skeg (1" cypress and round-over router, also gelmagiced on without any fasteners), I am slowing down and cogitating on the spray rail. I ain't about to spend ~$400 for a Taco rail or Smart-rail, so will have to make my own out of wood, and figure out how to gelmagic it onto the chine once again without any fasteners. If the Smart rail can hold with adhesive only, then surely a homemade wood rail can hold with gelmagic only and covered with fiberglass....
I'll experiment with the table saw and make something that can bend and be functional as a spray rail, like maybe a 2-layer rail....

There is an old wsy of doing that..... Steam!
Build a box or boiling water pored on towels that are wrap around the wood.

Woodenyouknowit
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: OB17-new CNC kit project (spray rail)

Spray rail in progress: Ripped a 2"x3" board and did a cove cut on the tablesaw. Epoxied (gelmagic) it on top of a 3/4" x 3/4" chamfer molding from lowes to make a composite spray rail, and then epoxy with duct tape along the chine. Next is fairing and fiberglassing the spray rail. Pictures from gallery hopefully copy over to here...
Attachments
DSCN0625.JPG
DSCN0631.JPG
DSCN0639.JPG

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg »

Congratulations, W, your boat looks great! When it's time to put glass over your spray rail I wonder whether it will take the sharp turn you have on the edge. You might need to blunt that edge a little before glassing, then build it up with putty to the desired profile. Just a thought from where I'm sitting. Keep the pics coming!

Woodenyouknowit
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Yes, that sharp edge might need to be more rounded over; it'll probably take a lot of filling and fairing before it's finished. Thanks for the comment! The rub rail and spray rail and skeg are much more time consuming than I thought they'd be, and I'm almost out of gelmagic. It's very easy to use but costs an arm and leg...

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Yes. The rail might be a bugger to glass. I’d try to make one (not two) nice radius by hand on the outside with some 40-60 grit-lotsa sanding... Check the join first by trying to break it off with some gentle pressure-that is a perfect place for dry joint to occur just so you know. Winter moldings can be ultradry and resin thirsty. I would have wanted to hot coat the back.

Sorry-just saw gelmagic. You’ll be fine methinks

Good luck!
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Woodenyouknowit
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: OB17-CNC kit project

1st strip of fiberglass on spray rail is done! Epoxy with fast hardener in 55 deg, waited until sticky to press on the fiberglass strip, then coated with paintbrush to rub out bubbles.
Attachments
DSCN0649.JPG