Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Eric's C21

Post by Dougster »

I've had the same good experience with EMC. The second coat make it pop. Three coats is probably ideal. I didn't smell it much with the 3M repirator I used and think it's best to be careful with the stuff.

Dougster

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Second coat status. I just got off the phone with EMC and after seeing my pictures and talking with Robin. She seems to think I was pressing the roller to hard. I tend to believe this is the case as I could not get the paint to roll evenly. She is going to have John look at the pictures and get beck to me.
Here are the photos for the forum's amusement.

Same crap, other side.

Still down in my back so repair will not start today. I did sand over one of these overlap places with 320. It gets rid of it.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

That sucks, but still a great looking hull. She is going to be an eye catcher when done.
What rollers are you using?
Last edited by Capt UB on Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Capt UB wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:18 am That sucks, but still a great looking hull. She is going to be any eye catcher when done.
What rollers are you using?
High density foam, same ones they sell here.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

A little less roller pressure sounds like a good way forward. Look after that back.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Eric, sorry about the second coat!! Glad Robin @ EMC is assisting you, she is really good and will get answers for you!! Take care of that back!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Just keep painting... just keep painting... just keep painting.

I know you prefer to swap "sanding" for painting, but I think you are ok. Nothing there actually looks problematic. I'd keep on with the painting just making small adjustments (like the roller pressure). It will come out damn near perfect based on everything else you've done.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Marshall Moser
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Marshall Moser »

Based on the amount you used, i'd say you were right around 1.5-2 mils. Coverage is 3 mils. I'd recoat before I sanded or polished.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Ok so like I said I know nothing about painting but what is the problem here :doh:
I understand the paint is very thin and if so I would expect it to take a number of coats before it looks right.
Just looking for a little education here :wink:

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

After another conversation with EMC the consensus is I was rolling with to much pressure.
The resolve:
I'm going to sand this down with 220/320 to remove the few runs and to get back to a nice surface.
Then I'll either roll three to four coats and finish sand if needed using much lighter roll pressure.
Or I'll say to hell with it and roll three or more coats on her and sand/cut and buff until slick.

Wish I knew what I was doing.