Sea chest in XF20 ?

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Southern Gent
Active Poster
Active Poster

Sea chest in XF20 ?

Post by Southern Gent »

Folks. It’s a steep learning curve being Me!

I have been reading up on “ Sea Chest “ and considering whether to plan for one in a XF20 rig.

I was planning a couple live bait wells and I like sourcing it’s water via sea chest with a single high speed through hull pick up.

Any thoughts?

Best wishes in the Christmas and Holiday season

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sea chest in XF20 ?

Post by jacquesmm »

A sea chest is usually seen on larger boats but you may try on the XF20.
Beware of the size of the pick up.
This boat is more sensitive than others to disturbances in the water flow. I would not put the pick up in front of the tunnel.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

I thought a sea chest was for carrying daggers and doubloons and your fancy work. 8)
Tony

Southern Gent
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Southern Gent »

jacquesmm wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:06 pm A sea chest is usually seen on larger boats but you may try on the XF20.
Beware of the size of the pick up.
This boat is more sensitive than others to disturbances in the water flow. I would not put the pick up in front of the tunnel.
Thank you, I was thinking of mounting high speed 3/4” bronze strainer to the Port side back along the tunnel about 1 foot forward of the transom. Sea cock valve. Noting the bait wells would be 7 to 10 gallons each.

I’m still playing with bait well locations.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

I don't think it will work on an XF20, or for that matter on any of Bateau's smaller boats. The basic concept of this system is the entire chest is below the waterline, which on the XF20 is just a few inches. Just use a pickup, going through a seacock, then a pump to your well. Sea Chests are for boats with lots more of the hull below the waterline. Interesting design and hydrology is well thought out, but not on an XF20.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Southern Gent
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Southern Gent »

cape man wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:55 am I don't think it will work on an XF20, or for that matter on any of Bateau's smaller boats. The basic concept of this system is the entire chest is below the waterline, which on the XF20 is just a few inches. Just use a pickup, going through a seacock, then a pump to your well. Sea Chests are for boats with lots more of the hull below the waterline. Interesting design and hydrology is well thought out, but not on an XF20.
Thanks cape man. That was my original plan with split tee for each bait well

Best wishes