My cx 25

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
dalnilo
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: My cx 25

Post by dalnilo »

image.jpg
image.jpg

dalnilo
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by dalnilo »

Happy New Year to all.
I ask you for advice. I would like to finish the bottom of the boat so I can turn it around. what finish do I have to do? resin and graphite?

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Hi Dalnilo, the boat is looking great. What to choose to finish the bottom of the boat will depend on how you plan to use it.

The resin and graphite that you see many builders put on has a purpose- abrasion resistance. Many areas around the southeast parts of the U.S. have beds of oysters, and if you're going after fish in shallow water it's easy to scrape up against them. If your boat will be kept on a trailer then this is an acceptable coating. It will not provide any resistance to marine growth, and it is susceptible to UV rays so needs to be protected from direct or prolonged sunlight. You'll never get as smooth a surface with the graphite/resin, because it goes on thicker than paint.

If you don't want to go with the graphite, and the boat won't stay in the water more than a few days at a time, then you can use marine paint, same as hull sides if you want to keep it simple. If the boat will stay in the water for extended periods, you do want a bottom paint and will want to ask around your area to see what works well for other boaters. It that's the way you go, you may want to paint your hull sides now and do the bottom close to the time you launch.
Hank

dalnilo
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by dalnilo »

thank you for your compliments.
I'm undecided, the side I want to finish them at the end, because I work in a narrow space so I would ruin it. for the fund I would like to do something definitive. I think I keep it in the water for 6 months a year.
a question can I give a coat of resin with graphite and then cover with polyurethane paint?

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

If you are going to keep it in the water for that long; I'd go with a bottom paint. That is what I am doing on mine. I am going to use interprotect 2000 or 2000e and then Petit Hydrocoat ECO to the waterline. It will be a nice harderish finish that you would be able to clean without removing a too ablative paint. Ask the people where you plan to anchor/moor/dock what the preferred local finish is though.

what was your vacuum rate for your on boat vac work? I am going to vac glass onto my bottom 33', I figured I'd only go with 9" hg or so; just enough to get the glass flat and pull a bit of excess
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

If you are going to bottom paint before the flip make sure you select one that gives you a long window between painting and launching. Some bottom pains need to be in the water a few weeks after you paint them. I selected one that gives me 18 months to launch without having to reactivate it with fresh paint or sanding.

dalnilo
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by dalnilo »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:35 am If you are going to keep it in the water for that long; I'd go with a bottom paint. That is what I am doing on mine. I am going to use interprotect 2000 or 2000e and then Petit Hydrocoat ECO to the waterline. It will be a nice harderish finish that you would be able to clean without removing a too ablative paint. Ask the people where you plan to anchor/moor/dock what the preferred local finish is though.

what was your vacuum rate for your on boat vac work? I am going to vac glass onto my bottom 33', I figured I'd only go with 9" hg or so; just enough to get the glass flat and pull a bit of excess
I'm sorry but with regard to the vacuum procedure I can not give you advice, because I've only done some tests, I'm not an expert!

dalnilo
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by dalnilo »

Hello to all,
I'm finally ready to turn the boat. I gave a last base coat (white) in the living work, ready to receive the antifouling.
CB83A03C-65D2-440A-A593-E476511022C1.jpeg

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Great news !!! :D

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »