PG20 and PG22 for tiller outboard

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
markoc85
New Poster
New Poster

PG20 and PG22 for tiller outboard

Post by markoc85 »

Hi there,

Wondering if anyone has built one of these to suit a tiller outboard, and what modifications to the standard design are required to create a suitable and comfortable driving seating position in the stern?

Also curious as to whether anyone knows whether someone in New Zealand has built one?

Cheers

Mark

Southern Gent
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: PG20 and PG22 for tiller outboard

Post by Southern Gent »

Welcome Mate, I’m sure someone will answer or have an opinion

Happy New Year

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Welcome yes you can do a tiller version of either of these. You will want to use an extension for the tiller and move some of the weight forward. I do not know of any one in NZ that has built a Panga but that doesn't mean one hasn't been built, not all builders post there builds.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

markoc85
New Poster
New Poster

Post by markoc85 »

Hi,

Any objections to rearranging the interior of the stern to something like in this image?

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/v1CAx0HVxMU/maxresdefault.jpg

Cheers

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Can we have a better picture of what you have in mind?
There is no problem with a tiller version as long as the HP is reasonable or then, use of those hydraulically assisted tiller systems.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

markoc85
New Poster
New Poster

Post by markoc85 »

Hi there,

Thanks for reply, here are a couple of sketches attached which are more along the lines of how I've typically seen tiller boats set up. E.g. fibreglass pangas for example.

It looks to me that I'd have to deviate from the bateau design to run a tiller motor. It looks too awkward, the operator body position is forced too far forward in the design, all that structure is in the way, operator needs to be sitting 'with' the motor, not reaching back for it.

Does that make any sense?

Has anyone built a tiller one before?

Regards,
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (16.57 KiB) Viewed 1015 times
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (17.31 KiB) Viewed 1015 times

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Fellow kiwi here, where in NZ are you based?

I’d keep the same basic setup at the rear myself and build a bench in front of the motor well. I would not worry about trim, build a ballast/livewell forward and fill it when solo.

The tiller arm for most 60hp outboards puts you about 2-3 feet in front of the transom.

Edit: I don’t have panga plans but in the fs17 plans the motorwell frame is about 60cm forward. You can add more to make a seat if you wish. The motorwell cutout could also be smaller if it’s a tiller. In that boat at least there is lots of room to use a Tiller as long as you plan for a good trim.

This is your Boat. If you respect the scantlings, and build everything under the sole as to plans then you have enormous freedom in arranging the other stuff.
Last edited by OneWayTraffic on Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I like a long extended tiller but with a big engine, you need a strong, stiff extension. If you are alone in the boat, you must pay attention to the trim. That can be done as others have said by moving weights forward or with the extended tiller.
Move the seats and frames to your preference as long as you keep a rear bulkhead and keep part of the frames under the sole and under the gunwale.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

markoc85
New Poster
New Poster

Post by markoc85 »

Ok thanks for reply.

Planning for 50hp, no tiller extension, will manage trim with distribution of weight.

Comments on frames under sole and meeting gunwale to stiffen the latter are understood, but can you please clarify the purpose of the bulkhead, to help me solve:
- Could bulkhead be replaced with a frame, provided transom still had forward/aft bracing?
- Or alternatively, could bulkhead be reduced to form a seat as shown in the following sketch? (minimum transom-bulkhead distance?)

The first 30 seconds of this show the driving position I'm aiming for. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k490an6gdA4

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (17.71 KiB) Viewed 900 times

markoc85
New Poster
New Poster

Post by markoc85 »

Hi, did that make any sense, any feedback on this?

Is there some other way to contact this company?