707dreamer's HC16 (First build)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: 707dreamer's HC16 (First build)

Post by pee wee »

Okay, but I agree something looks funky- it looks like the bottom of the hull rises in the middle. Optical illusion?
Hank

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

On your phone, slightly crop the picture.
Your phones picture editing software will embed orientation in the file where the camera didnt.
This is how I have been uploading all my phone pictures directly to the forum here with proper orientation.
Good luck!

707dreamer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 707dreamer »

peewee- That picture is with the panels loosely stitched and no spreaders to push the center of the hull down. I will post the pics with the spreaders installed to see the true hull shape. (could you imagine sitting in a canoe with that much reverse rocker!! :lol:)

Narfi- Thank you! ill try that with my next postings

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

pee wee wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:06 pm Okay, but I agree something looks funky- it looks like the bottom of the hull rises in the middle. Optical illusion?
I am worried about that too. Can we have a profile picture?
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

707dreamer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 707dreamer »

My Girlfriend helping me prime the seams to be spot welded

Here is a pic of the lower chine section/bottom section with the spreaders screwed in through the hull to hold it in the proper shape according to the cross sectional diagram in the plans. Also the seams were primed here with epoxy in preparation for the woodflour/epoxy putty to be applied. (keep in mind that previous pictures of the hull thus far did not include the spreader bars to hold the hull in the correct shape)

Here you'll see I used 5 gallon buckets and ratchet straps to straiten out a twist I had in the hull from the 4x8 sheets I bought being warped. The weights were left on till after the glass strips cured. It worked and the bottom section was flat when everything cured up. Also you'll notice I omitted every other stitch I had previously put in cause it was overkill.
Last edited by 707dreamer on Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

707dreamer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 707dreamer »

I used painters tape of course to seal the seams from the outside before priming, filleting ,and glassing the inside to prevent any mess from seeping through on to the ground.Image

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

That looks really good. You posted that crazy looking hull without the spreaders . . . I knew it didn't look right so I had to say something! You're doing a great job on your first build, carry on.
Hank

707dreamer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 707dreamer »

Here the woodflour/epoxy fillets were laid down on the pre-primed seams and rounded out with a modified plastic putty scraper from BBC

In the next two pics the zip ties were removed after the "spot welds" of putty cured overnight (11 hrs) and were strong enough to hold the panels together. then more putty was filled in where the zipties were as well as a larger area was primed to accept the bi-ax glass strips, those were laid down and wet out. (all pre-priming was allowed to sit for 30mins or so to soak in the wood) *Note that the bi-ax strips were not yet wet out in the below photos.
Last edited by 707dreamer on Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

707dreamer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 707dreamer »

pee wee wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:44 pm That looks really good. You posted that crazy looking hull without the spreaders . . . I knew it didn't look right so I had to say something! You're doing a great job on your first build, carry on.
Thank you! I didnt mean to concern you & Jacques :lol: I just wanted to have my post be chronologically correct.

I appreciate you guys looking out for me though! I'm sure I will be saved from making a huge mistake in the future this way :D

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Looks good 707 dreamer!!! Jeff