Insight into First Build

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Insight into First Build

Post by Jaysen »

What Narfi said. I built most of my v12 under a tarp stretched between a shed and a fence. When not under the tarp she was under the live oaks. Flooring was some plywood or sand. Ventilation was provided by the good Lord (he really should have replaced the filter though... fewer bugs would be embedded in the epoxy).

Narfi forgot to mention that he’s actually using “the wife’s dining room” for the winter.
1. He’s a lucky man
2. Where doe Narfi eat?
Which is all to say you can build anywhere you can get permission to make a bit of a mess.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

texasdrifter
New Poster
New Poster

Post by texasdrifter »

Okay, I'm going to measure out my garage today. Also, is there a Tapatalk extension of this site? It keeps coming up when I get on the site on my phone but when I go to it, there isn't anything there for Bateau.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Narfi forgot to mention that he’s actually using “the wife’s dining room” for the winter.
1. He’s a lucky man
2. Where doe Narfi eat?
Which is all to say you can build anywhere you can get permission to make a bit of a mess.

:lol:

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

That was supposed to show up as Jaysen's quote. Not sure what happened.

Southern Gent
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Southern Gent »

Texasdrifter, You fish right now next to big Texas Sleds with jackplates and big outboards they are heavy, expensive and drink fuel.

All the boats you are considering will be lighter weight, require smaller outboards and cheaper to operate.

Build the largest boat you can build in your space. Work smart,stop when you are tired, use your tools wisely.

You will have great support within this group but it’s up to you to keep your goal in sight. Press on.

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat »

Welcome fellow Texan!

Do it! I too didn't have any boat building experience or any real wood working experience before I started. I'm still building my FS17 and it's been a lot of fun. This forum is so helpful. Of course there will be some frustrating times. At some point it kinda clicks and everything makes sense. Just study the plans and building notes that are supplied. I just reread over and over and over and over...

My girlfriend decided she wanted to build a boat too so now we are building a D5 and FS17. I had to teach her how to use a saw. She cuts better than me now...

You don't need that many tools. Really depends on how crazy you get with the build. I cut everything with a jig saw. Buy a nice tape measure, drywall T-square, couple sets of saw horses and an RO sander. You really only need basic tools.

I'm building both in my garage and I have standard size garage depth wise. I'll post a pic.. I put my strong back on casters so I could roll it around. I angle it in the garage while working on it and put it back when done.
Last edited by Parkrat on Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat »

If you get some nice rubber wheeled casters you could easily move it outside and work on it and then back in to store it.

texasdrifter
New Poster
New Poster

Post by texasdrifter »

Measured the garage diagonally and its 22 feet. I like the idea of putting wheels on it and rolling it out to work on. One question I have is if you buy the epoxy/glass kit and a cnc kit, does that cover everything needed to finish the boat except paint? I figured the grab rail, poling platform, casting platform, and nav lights are extra? Any ideas on what the going rate is for: paint, poling platform, casting platform, and nav lights?

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Well, no one has responded so...
I don't have anything to say on the platforms, this is better answered by those familiar with this build.

As to paint, the cheapest thing to do is a couple of coats of house paint.
Next level, you get some primer--many of us like S3, which will probably take a gallon for both boats at about $100. Then you can go with Rustoleum marine paint, probably about $60 for enough for both boats.
Next up, Easypoxy or Brightside, both one-part polyurethanes, about $100-$125 for a gallon which will do both boats.
Last you can go with a two-part paint. EMC is popular here, but Awlgrip and Interlux Perfection are also big brands. I'm just guessing but I figure in the $400 range for both boats. You can figure out the coverage on the manufacturer's website.

Of course, if you choose a design with more than one color, this may increase the cost of the paint.

Lights will be $60 and up, plus wiring.
Tony

seaslug
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by seaslug »

Poling platforms start at around $600 and go up from there depending on where yo get it built and whether you want rod holders, powder coat, etc. Forward casting platforms start around $300 and go up accordingly. The paint was explained well enough. You can go inexpensive 1 part, or high dollar 2 part epoxy paint, such as Awlgrip, which can run you upwards of $400 bucks of you're using 2 colors. Although epoxy paints are quite expensive, if you plan on keeping, and using the boat for many years, the paint will hold up to almost any abuse you throw at it, and retain its glossy finish. Never needs waxing like gelcoat.