707dreamer's HC16 (First build)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
707dreamer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: 707dreamer's HC16 (First build)

Post by 707dreamer »

Jeff wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:00 pm Looks good 707 dreamer!!! Jeff
Thanks Jeff!

707dreamer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 707dreamer »

Here we attached the upper chine panels to the fully cured lower structure. Piece of cake! 8)

Here you'll notice the training hammer that i'm being restricted too until I can prove I can handle a bigger one :roll:

I love the shape of this canoe!

707dreamer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 707dreamer »

The inner chines are all glassed finally! I wish the inside could remain wood finish...

Here is the under side with the painters tape removed. overall I think it turned out OK as far as panel alignment... Preparing for the outside chine seams to be glassed now!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Again, really nice work 707!!! Jeff

707dreamer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 707dreamer »

So now that my build thread here is all caught up I have some issues I need to solve...

My lay-up looks dry to me in some areas. worse in other areas. what can I do to fix this? can I work epoxy into the dry areas in an attempt to re-wet it?

Pic A Would you consider this starved?

Pic B What about this? you can see a lot of epoxy ran down out of the glass. You can see I've attempted to scrape up the runs

Pic C And finally the worst part of my work so far :oops: How can I help this situation?
Last edited by 707dreamer on Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Over all that does not look too bad. Maybe a little dry in a few spots but not by a whole lot. I would prefer my glass a little on the wet side versus being dry. As for the white on the bow remember when you have more than one layer of heavy tape it will start to look white even if fully wet out.
If I am using biax tape and want it to be smooth I have started to laying a strip of cloth tape over it. It only takes a very little more resin and it comes out much smoother.

topwater

Post by topwater »

The only thing i see is you might want to round over at least 3/8" on that sharp of angle for the bow.
That's a pretty tight corner for 12 oz tape.
Novi 23 finally launched !

707dreamer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 707dreamer »

Thanks Fuzz & Topwater, I'll definitely remember your tips in future builds. And if you guys aren't worried about my lay up I'm not worried either 8)

707dreamer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 707dreamer »

Slowly but surely making progress...

Made the first sanding pass on the inner chines and inner surfaces as far as I could (DA sander wouldn't fit in the very ends of the canoe).
I'm using a Milwaukee Dual action sander with 60 grit disc's hooked up to a Rigid shop vacuum w/ filter bag which has virtually eliminated any dust. making quick work of the cotton threads holding the glass fibers together in the biaxial strips. I've been careful not to sand down too far but of course I have eaten through to the glass in some areas (but not all the way through to the wood of course!)

I also couldn't resist cleaning up some of the outside stitch holes and chines, it was a nice day so I figured what the heck. This part was very enjoyable as I was fairing some of the panels together that were not quite aligned during stitching. Sanding with a small block and 80 grit by hand gave me good control as I was able to feel imperfections that needed knocking down. Friggin therapy man!...