Help making molds for hatches

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Help making molds for hatches

Post by DAYTRIP »

We do build and sell hatch and gutters fallguy. We have several sizes. We just had new plugs cnc machined so we have stepped it up another notch if you will.

“Fish-box” 14.5 x 47
Large rectangle 22 x 32
Large square 22x22
Small rectangle 22x18
Small square 14x15
Oval livewell with lexan hatch
Trapezoid

If you want anything I would have to give the pricing to JEFF and he could pass that along to you.

Southern Gent
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Southern Gent »

DAYTRIP wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:49 am We do build and sell hatch and gutters fallguy. We have several sizes. We just had new plugs cnc machined so we have stepped it up another notch if you will.

“Fish-box” 14.5 x 47
Large rectangle 22 x 32
Large square 22x22
Small rectangle 22x18
Small square 14x15
Oval livewell with lexan hatch
Trapezoid

If you want anything I would have to give the pricing to JEFF and he could pass that along to you.
Noted. Thank you, I’m,building my plugs to cast my own. Best wishes

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Since we all hijacked so bad; daytrip, can you tell SG how thick the airex foam is on yours?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Gosurfen
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Gosurfen »

Interested in several of the hatches for a flats boat build I am working on. Can someone send pricing and pictures of hatches? Thanks

DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by DAYTRIP »

The thickness I use is 3/8. That together with the gasket I use puts you flush with the gutter. Very light and very strong. This is a pic of the fishbox, large square and small rectangle. On the small the hatch is upside down that is why it looks odd. Big rectangle not shown. SG, on this I have a gasket face that a 5/16 gasket goes on and that together with the layup I outline make everything sit flush. Gasket comes from Home Depot believe it or not. Haven’t source a bulk supplier and they are not cheap. I make the hatch 3/8 smaller than the gutter face which give you 3/16 gap. That allows either a piano hinge or conventional hinge to be used. If you want recesses for hinges just put a block out in the mold in that area. That all the secret sauce :doh: Hope that helps!

319AE300-C706-4323-8279-15854A1D535E.jpeg
Last edited by DAYTRIP on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Southern Gent
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Southern Gent »

DAYTRIP wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:53 pm The thickness I use is 3/8. That together with the gasket I use puts you flush with the gutter. Very light and very strong. This is a pic of the fishbox, large square and small rectangle. On the small the hatch is upside down that is why it looks odd. Big rectangle not shown. SG, on this I have a gasket face that a 5/16 gasket goes on and that together with the layup I outline make everything sit flush. Gasket comes from Home Depot believe it or not. Haven’t source a bulk supplier and they are not cheap. I make the hatch 3/8 smaller than the gutter face which give you 3/16 gap. That allows either a piano hinge or conventional hinge to be used. If you want recesses for hinges just put a block out in the mold in that area. That all the secret sauce :doh: Hope that helps!

DAYTRIP those sure are pretty.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

So how do you drain them?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by DAYTRIP »

Thanks sg.

I usually Glass a pvc fitting in the location to drain from then pipe it

Dutch1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dutch1 »

Those look great daytrip!

JRL
New Poster
New Poster

Post by JRL »

Southern Gent wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:00 pm I keep reading use veil fiberglass?
The reason veil is used in mold/plug building is to prevent larger cloths from transferring a pattern over to the final product.

If you look close you can see a chopped strand mat pattern on some boats gel coat. It’s likely their initial layer used something like 1.5oz csm as their first layer under the gel coat. Veil prevents print through from happening.