TW28 Luka

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
colinhart
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: TW28 Luka

Post by colinhart »

Also what size engine did you put in I seem to recall it was a 39hp am I right?

TheBroomside
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by TheBroomside »

TW28 Luka is certainly a great boat for cruising Europe's inland waterways.
It has been too long, so I forgot how to get the 'Glossieblack wrote' in the quote...

You are right. The TW28 can take coastal waters, but at sea I do prefer sailing boats, with greater dynamic stability.
We are lucky to have a fine-mazed net of streams, rivers and canals. The canals date from as far back as the 13d century, the older ones w started as a river, so no straight lines. We do not have wilderness anymore, but the waterways are mostly in the nicest natural environments present here
I seem to be stuck on other things not boat building,
Colin, I hope all is well with you. I think your build is great. It is certainly technically the most sophisticated, with the strict regulations in the UK. I am looking forward to see completion, perhaps next year?
.4 gallons per hour at what rate of travel?

It might be good to share with potential builders.
This is displacement hull, so speed is limited by its 28 ft length. The engine is a Mitsubishi 4 cyl. of 39 HP, this is ample power for this hull. We have an 19x12 prop.
At 1400 - 1500 rpm, 9.5 - 10 km/hr
At 1600 - 1800 rpm, 10 - 11 km/hr
Top speed 13 km/hr.
Travel is the essence, not 'getting there'. As the older canals wher build to serve medieval towns, there are plenty nice places worth visiting when cruising. Typically, we travel for a few hr, then stop to enjoy en visit the neighbourhood.
Anyway, there are speed limits on most older canals, often 9 km/hr
Beautiful boat Peter!!! Jef
I agree. Although the picture was meant to show the nice clouds :wink:

Greetings,

Peter
LUS

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

FYI, the quote feature is

Code: Select all

[quote="name"]
Replace name with the person. You need the quotes.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

colinhart
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by colinhart »

So hope its next year sorted out the mooring at the bottom of our road sad really as next door neighbour died so getting his mooring. Just finished gardening work we opened the garden for charity. Got marking to finish A level astrophysics should take a week and a bit daughter not starting new job till end of August so some sanding (oh joy) and then painting for the both of us

TheBroomside
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by TheBroomside »

Jaysen wrote:Replace name with the person. You need the quotes.
Thanks, tried a lot of things, but forgot about the =
Colin wrote:Got marking to finish A level astrophysics should take a week and a bit daughter not starting new job till end of August so some sanding (oh joy) and then painting for the both of us
I am in a different field but have always been fascinated by astrophysics. You are a lucky guy - the astrophysics part, not the marking.
Just a picture now and then would be fun. Its not the speed of building that gets you to the finish, just not stopping, whatever little visible progress is made. I think its Jaysen who called this the 'tractor approach'.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I don’t think Jaysen is that clever. I’m pretty sure he’ll take the credit though.

;)
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

vla
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by vla »

Peter, next week the Tough girl is going to Belgium. We're coming! I'll call you soon.
I can indeed confirm that a TW28 is a perfect boat for two people to make longer trips. She is a stable, easy to sail and comfortable boat.
Like the Luka, the Tough girl has a four cylinder Mitsubishi of 40 hp, she uses approximately 1.7 liters per hour of fuel at 1800 RPM. Her speed is then about 10 km per hour. My prop has a diameter of 16 inches and a pitch of 13 inches. So the consumption and speed are similar to the Luka, only the prop is different.

It would be great if Colin could make the crossing to the continent with his T28 next year. The Luka and the Tough girl would like to be the welcome committee.

An update of the Tough girl will follow in a few weeks.

Allard
TW28 Stoere meid, the best boat for long trips

TheBroomside
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by TheBroomside »

Yearly update: we just did spend 3 weeks on the Luka traveling the canals/rivers in the Walloon part of Belgium. Its the sixth season with the Luka, still extremely happy with this design.
Great fun, 71 locks.

Granddaughter being trained as young skipper

The highlight was the boat lift of Strepy-Thieu - 75 m high in one go,

and the 4 historical 19th century boat lifts ( 4x16 m) nearby in Strepy-Bracquegnie.

Great engineering, they are powered exclusively by gravity: the higher bin is filled a little higher than the lower one and pushes the lower one up.

They are located on the Canal du Centre.

Back in the home "port" of Leuven, we enjoyed the visit by Allard and Luppie with the Stoere meid, the other TW28 in the EU.

What happens to all the other builders?
Corto Maltese, Colin, Mike... Any progress? Unknown courageous TW28 builders? I was happy to see a new post by Rick, back at work...

I'll report back next year :D

Peter
LUS

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Nice update thanks Peter. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Great update!!!! Jeff