Privateer Retriever Rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Privateer Retriever Rebuild

Post by boguesounder »

Aye! Long time lurker. I've been working on a Privateer Retriever for a bit now. I thought it wise to post here for any opinions from the fine regulars of this form. She is a basic 18'6" CC built in NC. 1983. They have a strong following in these parts and are considered worthy of such endeavors.

On a side note...sure am sorry to learn of CL's passing. I have enjoyed reading his commentary for years and didn't know he was gone until just recently. I know he is missed by many.

Some pics of what I've been up to. All demo to this point. I'm about to begin the rebuild portion of the show. Hence, my posting. I will add that I am slllllooooooow at this rebuild and terrible at posting things to forums in general. So, if I haven't posted and your interested just hassle me some and it will probably move me to progress. Thanks!

As she arrived:

Pulling back the curtain:

Pulling the foam - more time consuming than it looks. Used all sorts for things. I found a prybar, hammer and wife's garden tool (mini pickaxe?) worked best.

Cribbing and trailer removal. Some good youtube videos on this process if you are ever wondering how to get a boat off a trailer on dry land. Not so bad to do. No cinder block supports...

Multi-tool...perfect for stringer removal. Carbide blade a must.

Factory had the stringer just about 1/8" above the hull to perfection.

Went all over with test holes on the transom. This was inside of a bunch of transducer holes. All dry and clean.

Removing the center stringer. It is inset in the hull. Cut flush and plucked out the remainder with chisel / hammer / etc.

Grind and grind and grind off the old tabbing. Grind grind grind. Scuff the hull all over for future tabbing. grind grind grind. I did buy a dust deputy attachment for my shop vac. Pretty amazing little device. No affiliation, the thing just actually worked really well. https://www.amazon.com/Dust-Deputy-Delu ... B002GZLCHM

Last edited by boguesounder on Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Privateer Retriever Rebuild

Post by fallguy1000 »

The hammer and the screwdriver pic three from the end/last.....

It looks like a stringer cutaway shot.

But the stringer was deeper than the inner face of the hull...?

So, is there core in the hull?

It is my classic question for 70s and early 80s boats.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder »

Hi, thanks for the question. It is not a cored hull. Solid glass. The center stringer is recessed into the keel. The only way to remove it is to cut the tabbing away flush with the hull and then come back and chisel out the the 3/4" or so of wood below that line - if that makes sense? The old aquasports are the same way. Upon rebuild, some folks will foam then glass over this cavity and then tab the stringer on top. I plan to put it back the way it was from the manufacturer. If you can zoom on this photo, you will see what I mean:

I would add also that the stringers actually had plenty of life in them. The only exception is where someone drilled a hole through the deck in the anchor locker to drain to bilge (?) and some rot had occurred on the bow portion of the center stringer. Transom seems very much intact with no wet or discolored wood from the many test holes I drilled.

I'm raising the sole and scuppers about 1.5". Knocked out the scuppers, applied some hot epoxy, and filling with thickened epoxy.

Went fishing in brother's boat...broke down at 5am a few miles from the ramp...tow of shame. Thankful for SeaTow. Boat back up and running.

Cutting out stringers. 3/4" Okume 1088 Sandwiched for original thickness of 3/4". Staggered joints.

Test fitting to hull. Keeping off hull to avoid hard spots. The 2x4's are just to help me working alone.

Daughter just walked in and insisted I add a smiley face somewhere, so just for her: :D
Last edited by boguesounder on Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder »

So that actually gets you to the exact point I am at now...minus plenty of time planning. Sure does look quick and easy when you just post some photos!

I plan to use 12oz tape to tab the stringers and sole to hull. I have 1708 for the deck. Using epoxy for all work. Happy for any provided opinions on that layup.

Boat will be used for light fishing in generally protected waters with occasionally decent chop. Finish will be fairly rough, but she will get painted at some point as the gelcoat is totally beyond repair. Layout will be simple with center console and livewell aft of that serving as a leaning post of sorts. Lots o' rod holders. Bean bags on family days.

Thanks!

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Not a fan of the method of the stringer deep in...

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder »

FG,
Thanks for the input. Did you have a bad experience with it?

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

No, but it is sort of the definition of hard spot is all.

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder »

FG,
Got it. I appreciate your input. The stringer does seem to float in the space rather well and I was using some foam shims to assure it didn't touch the bottom when test fitting. I will pay close attention to that and reroute if it doesn't look right. I was going to glass that stringer in last.

Another disadvantage I can see would be that if the keel was ever breached, water would have good access to the end grain of the stringer. But if I ever puncture that keel I will probably have worst problems on my hands.

Checked out your project...fantastic! Some seriously refined skills you are putting to use. Very impressive work. I will continue to follow your progress as I drag my knuckles around over here. :lol:

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder »

Pulling this one from the depths for an update. All my stringers are tabbed in. I am about the run by rigging chase tubes. This is what I have in mind. I should have posted this earlier last week as I plan to work on the boat over the next few days as I have some time off for the holiday.

Going from center console to starboard stern - (2) 2" PVC tubes (one for electric wiring, one for fuel line). Adequate diameter? Not sure my stringers could handle much more. I am going to have one pipe on each side of the outer stringer. Sang the pvc rough at regular intervals and glass to hull or stringer. The pipes will emerge into a small box at the transom before exiting right to the motor.

Going from center console to bow and stern along the keel - (1) 1/2" PVC (bow nav lights, wiring for bilge, transducer, livewell pump, maybe a bow mounted trolling motor someday)

I need to stop and take some more pictures of my work. To give you a bad sense of what I am talking about - I overlaid some red lines on this old picture. Without over complicating things, I wonder if I should run a small diameter tube from the port stern corner for ease of adding trim tabs or anything else back there. Does this seem like a sounds idea?

Sorry for the hack job photo. My description above may be more helpful. Thanks for any insight and Happy Holidays!

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Not the chase tube xpert here. sim yamaha told me all my stuff would fit in a 2" tube, fuel, hydraulic steering and electronics.

I have access to mine to change, so if not I'd go your route.

Then into a rigging tube for the engine.