North Carolina Build

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Woods Designs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: North Carolina Build

Post by Woods Designs »

As I said earlier, I haven't drawn the Skoota 32 for building in plywood. There are a few building Skoota 32's, including Fallguy and a couple of others in the USA. One is in regular contact with me, but has yet to start the build, the other sent me photos of his first hulls a few weeks ago. You all know Fallguy

However, according to my records a Peter Whittlesey of New Bern, NC bought a partial plan set of plywood Skoota 30 plans on Aug 24th 2017. There was a bit of confusion over the ordering as we were driving across the USA at the time (by chance it was the day we were actually in the geographic centre of the lower 48). So I didn't send him the partial plans until the 25th.

The partial plan set is a complete set of plans, build photos etc but does NOT include the lines plan or bulkhead dimensions. So it isn't possible to build the boat but does allow people to see what is involved with the build and, depending on the design, people can make crossbeams, central cuddy, rudders etc before buying the remaining drawings and making the hulls.

Obviously without buying the full plans it cannot be considered a real set of plans, nor indeed a Woods Design. Just some pictures of a boat one could build.

I don't know the legal implications, but obviously if someone builds from partial plans it means their boat has to be considered a home design and build. And that will have ramifications when a builder tries to insure the boat, never mind resell it. Seems a false economy, especially considering that, in this case, the full plan set would be only an extra USD700.

Furthermore, as Fallguy knows, buying a full plan set means you also get my/Jeff's/Jacques back up and any modifications/corrections/additions builders think are necessary.

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

All, after a conversation with FallGuy this morning, I realized that I had named this North Carolina Build a Skoota build when in-fact no one told me this was a Skoota or a Richard Woods Design!! I just made the assumption when I saw the build!! I apologize for any confusion and will not assume in the future!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Jeff wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:18 pm All, after a conversation with FallGuy this morning, I realized that I had named this North Carolina Build a Skoota build when in-fact no one told me this was a Skoota or a Richard Woods Design!! I just made the assumption when I saw the build!! I apologize for any confusion and will not assume in the future!! Jeff
Oh no! Have Reid kick you right below the belt for being human :lol:

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I would like to add that Richard should be called Sir Richard from here forward. Saint Richard perhaps as well.

I can't rightly knight him, but he deserves it.

For I am fast on the typewriter and able to bury friends and foes alike in a sea of ASCII. A detailed person, my wife went to order coffee cups for our wedding with the logo 'love one another'. Fortunately, I caught her typo when it said 'love on another' which means something else.

At any rate, the Skoota 32 DM is the first on the planet and without Sir Richard tolerating my emails; it would not be where it is, and it is in a good place I'd say. About two months off schedule is all. Mostly due to learning wet bagging nuances.

I would encourage the builder, if it is the guy short the $700, to pay Richard for the intellectual property.

My two cents...
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice Fuzz, thank you!! Jeff