FS14 Build - Pics, etc.

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS14 Build - Pics, etc.

Post by Capt UB »

finalfront wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:54 am True. Boat will be in water for 3 to 4 months.. Maybe go with primer & then epoxy graphite mix (then Trinidad as last coat or just epoxy graphite mix as last coat)?

I've used Trinidad on one of my sailboats, good stuff. I'm guessing be it should go over the graphite/epoxy mix if you ruff up the the mix. Primer is not needed for the graphite/epoxy mix.

This will help,

http://www.pettitpaint.com/media/4018/p ... pds-17.pdf

finalfront
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by finalfront »

I've been fairing and sanding.. I failed on smoothing FG very well originally, so extra fairing material has been ordered. Certainly recommend using plastic sheeting (I did not).
Anyhow, I'm planning to finish fairing bottom and sides, and then add spray rails, but now I'm thinking Reverse (flat) chines like SideSlippa on his OB17 - his pics best seen in another post (and endorsed by Jacques as a good method): https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.ph ... ne#p247041
I think they'd look great, well contained in hull design, and probably just as easy as adding spray rail. I'm thinking about 5/8" to 3/4" height extending up from the side, and about 2 to 2 1/2" wide at stern, and begin tapering, at about 4'-5' from bow, down to nothing at bow or at a foot or so before bow.
**My concerns (I hope * Jacques (jacquesmm)* will hit me with an opinion on all this):
1. Is this an ok thing to do on FS14, instead of spray rails, regarding performance, and spray knock down?
2. If I proceed, should I use epoxy thickened with what? Micro-balloons, Silica, West product? -- using gelmagic is a simpler possibility, but seems expensive and unnecessary use of it?
3. How much will I need extra resin, etc. - I'm thinking extra gallon and half of epoxy, but how much of the filler?

finalfront
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by finalfront »

Hi Jacques, any chance you saw my last post. was wondering if you had any thoughts on my questions.. thanx

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I use that type of chines on the OB15, CS23/25 and some other boats but I find them very complicated to build and prefer to epoxy glue a spray rail IF you want one.
I don't think you need a spray rail or chine step on that boat.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

finalfront
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by finalfront »

Thanks Jacques. I may skip chine step for now and add spray rail later if needed.. it does get choppy up here and i do want a dry-ish ride. Can you tell me if it's a mistake to do the chine step as I proposed? or is it just useless on this boat?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Not a mistake but not worth the effort.
Many do it to mimic fiberglass boats but those boats need stiffeners and those are made with strakes and chine steps. Our material has sufficient stiffness.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

finalfront
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by finalfront »

:D ok, i see, just worried about spray actually, and didn't like the look of spray rails... Maybe i should sharpen edges of chine with fairing? would this help with spray issue? (Thank you for your assist on this.. it's the small things that cause me such a angst)

finalfront
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by finalfront »

Best laid plans were not followed well, but finally got back to my build and all I can say is that fairing and sanding (over and over) is horrible. Definitely should have used the plastic peel.. wondering if a quick sanding of raised fibers on glass and then a light coating of resin would have leveled/smoothed out many of the cavities and reduced my fairing use. For first timers, I'd definitely suggest buying extra fairing compound (Quick fair does seem the way to go for ease).
Anyhow, I think I just s*ck at fairing - tried long 2' trowel, then short hand held (work better), then putty knife for misc cavities. Still bumpy in places and pinholes (and misc fiberglass cloth cavities), painted a thin primer coat and felt hull is generally fair, just not smooth throughout.. sanded, putty knifed some more quickfair. Done.
I've read the option is for a "workboat" finish - I'm taking that option, though I may not have even gotten it to that level.
Some pics below (they look better than it is, or maybe not. Ha)- I'm waiting for first coat of epoxy graphite to dry - put on real thin - had hoped it would hide more, but alas, not so much. maybe second coat..
IMG_20180717_154845.jpg
IMG_20180821_105052.jpg
IMG_20180821_105039.jpg
IMG_20180821_114047.jpg

finalfront
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by finalfront »

After fairing and sanding and hoping to sharpen chine (as I hear it helps with performance and spray reduction - as I've chosen no spray rails), I found it impossible to use fairing to sharpen chine - also I feel it will be too soft and chip away. So, I contemplated using the cardboard dam and fill void with gelmagic, thus creating a kindof "reverse chine", but that seemed overkill and needed tons of gelmagic, or another filler. I decided to use an "outside corner" plaster/drywall trowel and I bent it open a bit more than 90 degrees to allow it to ride the chine (matching the bottom and side angles with some steady pressure from me). I then ran a bead of gelmagic down the chine, tapering off about 2 and 1/2 feet from bow. I ran the trowel on it and it created about a 1" overlap on side and bottom, give or take. Made a nice fairly sharp chine and hardened up solid. (Wish I had done this before I did any fairing, but hope it will still hold - certainly seems hard as rock.) It did create the mildest rise on the chine, far from reverse, but hope it works out. Hard to see in pics - sorry.
So, after more sanding, I used system 3d yacht epoxy primer I had purchased before I decided to go epoxy/graphite - thought it might fill some small dings and cavities because it says high build, but alas, it did not. Put on two light coats, and moved on to epoxy/graphite. Can't handle it anymore.. whatever the finish is, I'll live with it. 1st coat of epoxy/graph is drying - still showing imperfections - let's go! Work finish at its worst...
Oh yeah, what's with the waterline.. much research (people with lasers, etc.), but best I could come up with is measure down from keel on transom 5", draw level line across transom, tape string at corner (which becomes about a 3" drop from stern corner/chine), pull string taught around side of boat below chine and tape at about a 1 1/2 - 2" drop from Bow chine tip/nose. Then, I kindof adjusted string along, so that at mid-seat area it had about 3 1/2 - 3 3/4" down from Chine. created a nice curve, with bit deeper at mid seat area (which made sense to me). We'll see how it goes once boat is in the water (in five years, at this rate).
IMG_20180822_165350.jpg
IMG_20180824_123319.jpg
IMG_20180824_123331.jpg
IMG_20180824_133842.jpg
IMG_20180824_133855.jpg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work FinalFront!!! Jeff