Extreme 20 question

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Country1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Extreme 20 question

Post by Country1 »

I have no problem buying 3 plans for us if we can get it to 23ft and 8'6" wide. I have been in one of these and had a couple of guides that built them but with 5 people it doesn't quite have the room. So for us we need them 23-24 ft and 8'6" beam. They won't be trailers.

Country1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Country1 »

When could we get the plans on a stretched model. Actually the beam is fine just the length.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

OK, that is somewhat easier.
I still have to redesign the model, add frames, redo calculations, reinforce panels etc. then draft all that.
I need about 10 hours for the calculations and 20 for the drafting but I must finish a couple other jobs first.
Let's say 2 or 3 weeks.

About the scale: when modeling (= design in 3D) on the computer, we do not use a scale, we design full scale. Later, the drawings are scaled to fit on paper, for printing.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Country1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Country1 »

Yeah I figured these are scaled to 3/8 it looks like.

CatfishHunter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by CatfishHunter »

the xf20 should easily be able to fish 3 or 4. Several xf20's as well as the similar older microdraft are being used as guide boats in the area. I'm building one for the same purpose.
Last edited by CatfishHunter on Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Country1 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:10 pm Yeah I figured these are scaled to 3/8 it looks like.
All my paper drawings are to scale even those marked NTS but you should never take dimensions from a paper drawing and scale it up. All the dimensions necessary to build the boat should be on the drawings.
In the old times, you used a table of offsets to redraw the boat full scale on the floor and took dimensions from there. It is called lofting and was a long and difficult process because you had to correct the inaccuracies from lines drawn on paper. I have done it often and have found scaling mistakes up to several inches.
Today, we loft the hull on the computer with great accuracy, 5 decimals of 1" in my case. Or 5 decimals of 1 mm. It is all fair and correct, we do the lofting. If I forgot to show a dimension, post here and I will reply.

cape_fisherman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cape_fisherman »

Where I live we see many flat bottom skiffs in the 22-24 range. Every now & then I'll see a 26 or a 28. Those are big skiffs...but there is a market.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Lots of them around here too. The big boys are typically work boats for crabbing or inshore guides. A few of the 24s are family fishing and party boats (Carolina skiff). I bet a quick build that could compete performance and cost would be popular around here.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Thanks for the good news. I would hate to put so much work in a design that nobody wants to build.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

jacquesmm wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:47 pm Thanks for the good news. I would hate to put so much work in a design that nobody wants to build.
I don't think you will ever have that problem. Your designs are timeless.