Mark's PH18 in Toronto

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Mark's PH18 in Toronto

Post by Fuzz »

Beautiful boat :!: What power is on it and how does it run?
The waterline shows it to be pretty tail heavy. I am sure moving some weight forward is going to help things a bunch.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Wow, great looking boat! However, it is clearly very tail heavy.

I think its a no brainer - move your trolling motor batteries to the front, then see how it sits.

I can't do the maths, but ideally the trolling motor batteries should be close to the motor anyway.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest »

You could always just move the batteries to see how much it improves the trim. If it is enough then do the rewire.

topwater

Post by topwater »

Move them forward it will help .
Novi 23 finally launched !

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

Thanks everyone. I was wondering if anyone may have a calculation, but yes I can just do it. To move anything back is going to be a PITA due to all teh wiring that I have to re-do.... I plan on moving 3 - 2 for 24V TM and the one for 12V accessories (dedicated starting battery is #4)

Perhaps what I will do is move two, then the third if need be.

Power is a 2004 Evinrude 115 Ficht, purchased new (on my previous boat) 344 hours to date, runs like a top no issues ever, sips gas (except on tournament day when it seems to have only one throttle setting LOL)
My Son calls me "The Fish Whisperer" I love it !

DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by DAYTRIP »

If Jacques can tell you where the design center of gravity is you can then figure out where your actual cg is then move things around. To figure out where it is you could weigh the boat and trailer. Then weigh the tough weight. With that you can figure out the actual cg then with that how much you have to move. My guess is the cg should be 1/3 the length forward of the transom?

All that said Jacques is the expert and designer. You don’t want to move forward of the design cg as bow steer might become an issue? Boat looks great ! Nice work. Envy you boating in that area.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Could you just put the boat in some water, disconnect the trolling bats, move them forward a bit, then see how she sits? Might be easier than the math.

;)
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Jaysen wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:16 pm Could you just put the boat in some water, disconnect the trolling bats, move them forward a bit, then see how she sits? Might be easier than the math.;)
Yup! You don't have to be Einstein to see that that boat is seriously tail heavy. The trolling motor batteries (2 x ) are a no-brainer relatively easy move for starters.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Mark you can do the calculations on how much you need to move forward. Assume the COG is 42% from the transom at the water line. Then say a battery weighs 60 lbs and distance from where the battery is no is 10' so you move it to the COG that is 600 lbs then you move it another 4' forward and that is another 240lbs. So by moving that one battery you have changed the weight of the effective COG by 840lbs. What you can do is take one of your batteries and move it forward and see how much a difference it makes, before you do any permanent changes. This will give you an idea of how many you might actually have to move. You may only need to move your trolling battery and house battery forward.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

All true Tom but ..........

24V trolling motor therefore 2 x 12V batteries to run it. These are the easiest batteries to move cause it would only involve rerouting and shortening the cables. I cant imagine moving only one. Ideally they should be close to the TM anyway. Moving the house battery would involve more rewiring. I suggest you just move the TM batteries to a forward position only (without touching the cabling) first to see how the boat sits. Then if it looks OK remount and rewire them. Looking at how that boat is sitting now I’m gonna be surprised if that moves the C of G too far forward.

Just saying!