PH18 in Midcoast Maine - Rusty Clouser

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
coldwater_flats
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: PH18 in Midcoast Maine - Rusty Clouser

Post by coldwater_flats »

I was trying to eyeball Dustinwg's jig, but bring it down in width in order not to have to get weird with mounting bulkhead A:

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

coldwater_flats wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:23 pm Nada, no specific mention of jig dimensions
I believe the 16 x 4 will work just fine.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Glad you are started Coldwater_Flats!!! Jeff

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

When it comes time to stitch up the bow panels, you will appreciate being able to access the underside. Use plywood gussets to keep things square, but don't cover so much that you can't crawl under the hull; you may want to use pieces of pvc pipe under the zip ties to help align panels, or maybe apply tape on the back side of a panel join so you don't push big globs of epoxy/woodflour all the way through.
Hank

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

One suggestion brace the legs to the jig fore and aft so that they can't collapse on you. If you would like to go through a very good PH18 build look up the build of Casey PH18 build in North Dallas He is a fly fisherman and the amount of detail work is amazing.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg »

Rusty, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your decision to build. My PH18 was completed in a leisurely 4 years and launched in 6/17. I love the boat and you will love yours. Casey, referenced in TomW1's message below, generously gave me his strongback. For the most part I set it up similar to how he did. See p. 1 of my build https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=46527, although I recall that he's got a lot more pics of it in his thread than in mine. My garage was not flat either but with adjustable legs on the strongback I could get it level. I then marked the floor with tape so anytime I moved it out of the garage I could return it to the same position. If you plan on moving it I'd recommend getting the largest casters you're comfortable with. I moved mine out of the garage often to sand and wash. I agree with your thinking re finishing the bottom completely so there's only one flip. Good luck and post up the pictures as you go!

Will

coldwater_flats
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by coldwater_flats »

willg wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:53 am Rusty, welcome to the forum [...]
Haha, "Rusty Clouser" is the working title for the boat. Won't be finalized until it's inked on the hull

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg »

Yes that's funny. I honestly had thought it pretty nifty that your last name was Clouser.

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

I see there is another PH18 among us!

I hope the progress is coming along.

Casey
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

Good luck with your build. My PH18 took 4 years as well, but it was worth it. I can't say enough about the good builders on this forum, and everything I have learned from their generous sharing.

All I need now is more horsepower ....
My Son calls me "The Fish Whisperer" I love it !