V12 - Divinycell vs Plywood

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
garym
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

V12 - Divinycell vs Plywood

Post by garym »

Can Divinycell be used in place of marine plywood for the V12?

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: V12 - Divinycell vs Plywood

Post by Fuzz »

garym wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:54 pm Can Divinycell be used in place of marine plywood for the V12?
If it can be done in plywood it can be done with Divinycell.
The biggest difference is you will need to use more glass when using foam. That being said it sure is nice to work with.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

garym, I agree completely with Fuzz!! More glass and more epoxy!! See the thread from FishGitR, he is building a 16 foot ConchFish from Divinycell!! Jeff

fishgitr
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by fishgitr »

I agree with too as you will use more glass. The foam doesn’t soak up as much epoxy as plywood. Foam is really easy to work with too.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

My v12 was my first build. Used 2x epoxy and did 12oz bottom. The ply version only uses tape for seams, no ply skin. With all my over build the completed hull is 150lb.

What advantage would there be to using foam as it will require both sides of each panel being glassed? That includes frames and seats.

Just curious.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

topwater

Post by topwater »

In small boats there would be no weight advantage and would cost more to build " more epoxy and glass ".
In bigger boats you would see a much bigger weight advantage but it still costs more to build and some
people do not like wood.
Novi 23 finally launched !

fishgitr
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by fishgitr »

Idk... another guy and I are both building the Conchfish. I’m doing it in foam and I’m at just over 19 gallons. I am pretty much done besides a little fairing. I won’t go over 20.. the other guy is around 15 gallons in and hasn’t built a cap yet. I too did more layers of glass than what would be used on wood.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Please do not compare the amounts of glass and resin for a plywood core to a foam core. You need at least twice the amount of glass and epoxy on a foam cored hull. Don't guess, have somebody with experience do the math.
I built my 1st foam cored boat in the early 70's and plan to progressively, offer many of my plans as foam cored hulls.
It is a big job, do not ask me to do it for a particular boat, I'll do it properly open boat plan at a time.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com