Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Eric's C21

Post by OrangeQuest »

I think I would want a pump that I never need verses having a need for a pump I don't have. :wink:
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

Can I give my 2 cents... I believe in all these small boats, a small bilge is nice because it allows you to properly close/ plug your scuppers when actually using the boat.

Then any water that does come into the boat - eg spray, swimmers getting in/out etc goes into the bilge and is pumped out. The bilge is small enough so that it can fill but not risk swamping the boat. It's purpose is to keep the decks dry and allow you to seal your scuppers unless you need to pull the plugs in an emergency.

I have yet to see a small boat that doesn't get your feet wet at certain points in the day. I have done a lot of fishing on Payan's GS28 - and even that gets ones feet wet backing down/ fighting fish etc. The bilge means you can keep the scuppers blocked until you have moored the boat, or you need to drain the deck in a rush.

Just make sure your bilge is small enough not to swamp the boat. I connected all my central lockers on the C19 with limber holes ...as you are planning ... and the risk is now you have a much bigger space to fill with water and potentially swamp the boat. I would have a bilge at the back, separate from the other compartments.

These I would just have water tight inspection hatches that I can occasionally open and look in. If you have a fuel spill it shouldn't be an everyday issue; and if it does occur you don't really want that mixing with water in your bilge - or bilge water mixing with your fuel tank!

Christer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Christer »

TomTom wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:03 am If you have a fuel spill it shouldn't be an everyday issue; and if it does occur you don't really want that mixing with water in your bilge - or bilge water mixing with your fuel tank!
Okay, now I'm concerned. In my boat, I have all sorts of crap floating around in the bilge, including fuel (petrol) and 2-stroke oil from the old outboard. All that sloshes around and is pumped overboard by the bilge pump, but there will always be some left behind that the pump can't get to (that said, I noticed the bottom drain plug a month ago when I wrapped the cover on the boat).

Should I be very worried? Apart from the environmental issues, what other dangers am I looking at?

(I will drain the boat completely and fill the under-deck compartment with an oil and grease remover when I get the boat back from the workshop and scrub it as well as I can, then rinse it out and catch all the polluted water in a tank for the recycling point to handle.)
8ft dinghy built in 1992, BBV sufferer ever since.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Keep a mix of Dawn dish soap and water in a spray bottle in the boat to break down the oil and fuel. The oil, fuel and water mix will turn to sticky gunk and stick to everything it touches leaving a greasy mess. It will then dry turning to more like putty making it harder to get off everything it had touched. Will also cause some plastics and rubbers to turn to crumbly pooh. They also make a enzyme that will eat the oil/fuel mix up.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Christer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Christer »

OrangeQuest wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:08 pm Keep a mix of Dawn dish soap and water in a spray bottle in the boat to break down the oil and fuel. The oil, fuel and water mix will turn to sticky gunk and stick to everything it touches leaving a greasy mess. It will then dry turning to more like putty making it harder to get off everything it had touched. Will also cause some plastics and rubbers to turn to crumbly pooh. They also make a enzyme that will eat the oil/fuel mix up.
Yeah, that sticky gunk is already there and gets on everything. Hopefully the workshop will get a move on and fix my outboard soon so I can get the boat back.
8ft dinghy built in 1992, BBV sufferer ever since.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

I think Eric had a heart attack. See his other post.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

So, One week has passed since my heart attack. I can't say that I feel better because I didn't feel bad before.
However, Things are different and I plan to take this seriously. My diet has changed as has my sleep schedule.
I did manage to sleep all of last night thankfully. I've decided to order a dado set and some other stuff for my saw to make my life easier.
I'll be using the Richard/Fuzz method to cap my stringer and frames. I have not done anything this past week but plan for things ahead.
I'm going to VA to sign up for benefits today. Also have to make multiple appointments for follow up, therapy and payment of course.

I hate to say it but I feel depressed. I've had very little interest in anything this past week.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Eric1 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:02 am So, One week has passed since my heart attack. I can't say that I feel better because I didn't feel bad before.
However, Things are different and I plan to take this seriously. My diet has changed as has my sleep schedule.
I did manage to sleep all of last night thankfully. I've decided to order a dado set and some other stuff for my saw to make my life easier.
I'll be using the Richard/Fuzz method to cap my stringer and frames. I have not done anything this past week but plan for things ahead.
I'm going to VA to sign up for benefits today. Also have to make multiple appointments for follow up, therapy and payment of course.

I hate to say it but I feel depressed. I've had very little interest in anything this past week.
Hi Eric. I can only imagine how you feel. It has to be a scary thing to go through. Many middle aged men (myself included) fear this very thing. The stuff runs in my family too and it sucks. It's the very reason I exercise four days a week and take an 81mg baby aspirin every night before bed. So glad that you are getting a second chance.
Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions about filing for your VA benefits. I've been down that road and might be able to help.

I've enjoyed following along on your build. Impressive work. She is going to be great on the water.

Hang in there,

Bogie

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Depression isn't something to take lightly. Even temporary and non-chronic. While at the VA mention that how you're feeling and ask for a referral to a non-VA psychologist/counselor (they don't prescribe meds) that will accept your bene. They exist.

Dude, you've been through hell the last couple years and come out the otherside. While you're getting back on top of the mountain, remember the beautiful daughters you've been blessed with. You've put food on the table and $$ in the bank through some economic uncertainty all while maintaining your integrity. Even in the worst times you've been the man so many "males" fail to be. Take some solace in the fact that you are living up to a standard that would make your father and wife proud.

I know that the deep seated feelings aren't overcome with that last paragraph. But hold on to the truth it tells while you recover and make the needed changes for a positive future.

Live on!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Eric, just take some easy time and give your body time to heal!! I am glad you are doing so well so quickly following the heart attack!! Jeff