"I wish I had..."

Post any and all methods for doing things here, if you think you have a good method, that you don't see most builders using
Christer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

"I wish I had..."

Post by Christer »

I've searched but couldn't find.

This thread is for the things you wish you'd done while building the boat, or things you now wish you'd done differently after the splash.

I'll start with my now somewhat vague recollection of my dinghy build way back when.

I wish I had...

...used epoxy and not polyester resin.
...used better fibreglass cloth, not just stranded chopped mat (though it worked fine).
...faired the hull after glassing.
...glassed the entire inside of the boat, not just the seams.
...built a sturdier transom (but then again, it's a rowing dinghy, not a planing powerboat).
8ft dinghy built in 1992, BBV sufferer ever since.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: "I wish I had..."

Post by cape man »

Raised the sole 1.5 inches.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

I see no reason for glassing the inside of the boat (although I did my seats, breasthook, and transom knees as they will get the most abuse) or reinforcing the transom if you are only rowing. More weight for both with minimal advantages.
Tony

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

cape man wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:56 pm Raised the sole 1.5 inches.
This. And I had spent more time fairing. Needed to do like the Cracker said fair until tired of it, walk away for a week, and then come back and do some more.

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Talked my friends into putting spray rails on their OD18’s... :P
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

Christer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Christer »

terrulian wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:17 pm I see no reason for glassing the inside of the boat (although I did my seats, breasthook, and transom knees as they will get the most abuse) or reinforcing the transom if you are only rowing. More weight for both with minimal advantages.
I never intended to row it, I always intended to put an outboard on it and hopefully not kill myself...

Also, it was built from exterior ply, so the inside of the hull was badly checked last time I saw it (about 6 years ago). Since I used polyester resin it probably would've anyway...
8ft dinghy built in 1992, BBV sufferer ever since.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Tripled my build budget.

It’s not that I ran out of $$ but I started to get ... snarky with the expenses that I hadn’t planned properly. Specifically the things not in the plans... boat dolly, fittings, etc.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

I never intended to row it, I always intended to put an outboard on it and hopefully not kill myself...

Also, it was built from exterior ply, so the inside of the hull was badly checked last time I saw it (about 6 years ago). Since I used polyester resin it probably would've anyway...
OK, in that case I see your point on both counts.
Tony

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Paid more attention to locking down the rear seat frame and stern seat frame to keep from getting the rocker. CL wrote extensively about it, I just didn't pay enough attention.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

topwater

Post by topwater »

Paid an auto body person to fair my hull :!: I had one come look at it and give me a price,
i could have paid him with the money i would have saved in wasted fairing and sandpaper and time :wink:
Novi 23 finally launched !