Cape Man's Dory

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OrangeQuest

Re: Cape Man's Dory

Post by OrangeQuest »

I agree 100% with what you guys are saying. It is disappointing as a new builder to see a boat launched and never hear from the boat or the builder again. Sometimes when they start another build they come back but not to many. I like to read about the adventures of the BOATS as much as the builder after the build. Wish more would post more post launch posts!

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

I am putting spray rails on Clara. I have a 1.5" x 3/4" x 194" piece of white ash left over from the gunwales on the first cedar strip canoe I built. In my experience the spray comes up from about the middle of the console and aft to the stern. I measured that and got 97"n before I measured the piece of ash, so I have just enough to make spray rails on both sides. Will 3/4" sticking out, just below the style line be enough to send the water out? I plan to sand the hull down along that line and glue it on using straps or temporary screws. Will be easier to make the bend if 3/4" is sufficient. Otherwise I will need to kerf it and probably use more than just epoxy to get it to hold. The boat needs a repaint (the clear coat is peeling) so I am planning on just sealing it with epoxy and a coat of varnish for now. Annual trip to Cape Sable is a week from now...
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

capeman,

I'm thinking 3/4" won't be enough, I'm thinking more like at least 1 1/2" I think thats what mine are. I don't think you want to go to all the work putting them on just to find out you have to do it again :help:
But then again without testing I don't know if 3/4 is enough or not???????

Larry B
Completed: FL14, OD18

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

I was just posting a response with your build Larry! You said yours protruded 1 7/8" from the side. Here's the you tube video from it running as well 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhRi4ZEaSnA

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Craig,
I just went out and measured, They are pretty close to 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 inch. I don't get any water in my boat
Completed: FL14, OD18

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

cape man wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:25 pm I am putting spray rails on Clara......
Love it! You've been wanting to do it for some time. Go man, go, and enjoy! :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

topwater

Post by topwater »

I put 1 1/2 " on my boat and they work great.
Novi 23 finally launched !

cape man

Post by cape man »

Thanks Larry, Will, Topwater, and Michael.

It was a trip up the Kenai river in August with Fuzz and his wife that confirmed the value of spray rails on an OD18. I called him yesterday to get the dimensions of his. He made them with angle iron to form the glass and epoxy. They stick out...ready...drum roll...about 3/4"! They worked really well, in perhaps the coldest water I have fished in.

I leaned over the side while he was running and also saw that the spray was coming up just aft of midship on his as well. It will be a real PITA to remove them if they don't work, but I'm going to go for it. 8.5' on each side going forward from transom.

I'll post pics of the construction and performance.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Cape Man, yes, please send photos as this sounds like a really unique process!! Happy Holidays to you guys!! Jeff

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Awesome! That's gonna be a HUGE addition to Clara

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one