Cape Man's Dory

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Cape Man's Dory

Post by Jaysen »

I need to swing down there with some fancy yankee wine and eat at your place.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Jaysen wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:47 pm I need to swing down there with some fancy yankee wine and eat at your place.
Come on, fancy yankee wine sounds good.
We eat pretty good, you are welcome anytime. :D
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

cape man

Post by cape man »

Didn't do collards and used smoked hocks in the peas. All good. Going to get a few hours sleep for a 1:00 am kick off.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Have a great break! :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Cape Man, have a great break and good luck fishing!! Jeff

cape man

Post by cape man »

Made it to Flamingo at sunrise Jan. 2 and sent Hermine with my son at the tiller and my friend from Minnesota out first with some gear.
Clara with the new spray rails, a really heavy load and two men ran 29 mph with no spray coming in. (pictures of spray rails in action coming later...). After three hours on Cape Sable I ran Clara back to find Hermine under paddle! The connector for the choke broke! I loaded everyone and gear, plus Hermine in Clara and ran back out to the Cape. We had a brisk on-shore wind for the first two days, so no bugs. The fishing was VERY slow with the water stirred up by the SE winds coming off the mud flats, but we had plenty of food. The camping was AWESOME. My brother and Nephew joined us the 3rd with a '93 Mako classic he just refurbished (was our brother in laws and had been sitting for 5 years). We had the whole coast to ourselves for three nights other than a sail boat that anchored about 0.5 miles to the east on the second night.

My son has a new digital camera that takes awesome night pictures, and he and I had a blast "light painting the tents and boats to get some pretty neat shots.
This my tent with a light inside and you can see my friend down the beach lit up from his head lamp.

These are shots where I ran around with a flash light "painting the tents, boats, and the trees.

Alas we had to return to the real world,,,

The spray rails work great. My friends took more pics of them working while underway which I'll post later.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man »

Oh yeah....when the fishing is slow, Homer Halibut and Seward Coho Salmon are VERY good! Thanks again Fuzz!

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Sounds like a nice camping/fishing trip! Hope to see more pictures soon!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

8)

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

glad to hear the spray rails worked for you :D Looks like you guys had a great trip :D
Completed: FL14, OD18