Cape Man's Dory

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cape Man's Dory

Post by Jeff »

Beautiful photos Cape Man!! Glad you guys had a great time!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Glad to hear you had a great trip. Those are some great photos. Also good to know your new spray rails seem to be working. I will be interested to see the pictures of them in action. I am a little surprised you are still eating on Alaska fish. I did not think you took very much home with you.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

A clever man's cape rig. 8)

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Great pictures. :D
Hopefully, I can get down to the Cape soon. 8)
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Looks like a blast. Love the pics

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

Great pictures, looks like a fantastic place to unplug from the world.
Alan.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Craig glad you had a good time. Can't wait to see the pictures of Clara and her spray rails underway.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cape man

Post by cape man »

Some more photos from the annual trip...
The osprey was our camping buddy every day while there. Even he was having trouble finding fish...
Roseatte spoonbill at Flamingo
Obligatory sunset behind Clara
10 foot American Crocodile in the basin at Flamingo
Running home with Hermine inside Clara. We were doing 28mph with three men and a significant load. Notice the spray going out instead of up the sides :D My friend from Colorado took some nice shots from the boat that I'll post when he sends them
The morning after the cold front moved through...
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man »

Clara is indeed in need of some attention. The plugs are all original to the build and the rubber was worn out. Had a slow leak in the hatch that holds the hydraulic pump for the Jack Plate and one of the side scuppers. The spares were worse than the ones in the drains. I bought new plugs and spares Friday. The bilge pump also crapped out as it got clogged with pieces of seagrass from the cast net. Ordering a new one, but am also going to create a trap of sorts for water going into the bilge to catch any crap before it gets to the pump. The strainer for the pump doesn't catch everything. While there was no threat of sinking, it sucks to have water slowly coming in when you are as far away from the trailer as we are on that trip.

I also need to work on the VHF antenna connection, as I was getting really poor reception.

The biggest thing is she needs a new paint job. By the time I got to that part of the build I was VERY short on funds, so used the industrial epoxy paint we use at work. Coated it with their clear coat for UV protection, and that is what is failing now, coming off in sheets. When I did the spray rails, the masking tape was pulling the clear coat off. Big job as I'll need to pull the graphics and some (a LOT) of the hardware to prep everything. Am considering taking it to a painter...
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Great pictures Capeman,
Sure looks beautiful out there. I can certainly see why you go every year.
Completed: FL14, OD18