Panga 20 Build

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Panga 20 Build

Post by Bogieman »

8)

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

OrangeQuest wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:13 am Not only dropping temps but in high humidity the moisture will want to stick to everything. Increases risk of epoxy wanting to blush. I avoid epoxy work if temps will be in the low 60s in a 24 hour forecast.
If I did it that way there would only be 3 days in the year I could lay epoxy :P

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Fuzz wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:27 pm
OrangeQuest wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:13 am Not only dropping temps but in high humidity the moisture will want to stick to everything. Increases risk of epoxy wanting to blush. I avoid epoxy work if temps will be in the low 60s in a 24 hour forecast.
If I did it that way there would only be 3 days in the year I could lay epoxy :P
you barely have 3 days a year where your tongue won't stick to a metal pole!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Jaysen wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:44 pm
Fuzz wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:27 pm
you barely have 3 days a year where your tongue won't stick to a metal pole!
I wish we could "like" posts!

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

The months March, April, May, October and November have a nice average temperature.
Hot season / summer is in May, June, July, August, September and October.
On average, the warmest month is August.
On average, the coolest month is January.
The average annual maximum temperature is: 80.6° Fahrenheit (27.0° Celsius)
The average annual minimum temperature is: 60.8° Fahrenheit (16.0° Celsius)

The monthly mean minimum and maximum temperatures over the year in Houston, United States of America.
Average min and max temperatures in Houston, United States of America Copyright © 2019 www.weather-and-climate.com

Notice they only list a hot season (6 months), no cold season or cool even. But we do have 5 months that are considered "nice" season.
I can afford to be picky on when I sling epoxy or paint! :D
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

OrangeQuest wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:27 pm The months March, April, May, October and November have a nice average temperature.
Hot season / summer is in May, June, July, August, September and October.
On average, the warmest month is August.
On average, the coolest month is January.
The average annual maximum temperature is: 80.6° Fahrenheit (27.0° Celsius)
The average annual minimum temperature is: 60.8° Fahrenheit (16.0° Celsius)

The monthly mean minimum and maximum temperatures over the year in Houston, United States of America.
Average min and max temperatures in Houston, United States of America Copyright © 2019 www.weather-and-climate.com

Notice they only list a hot season (6 months), no cold season or cool even. But we do have 5 months that are considered "nice" season.
I can afford to be picky on when I sling epoxy or paint! :D
Been ranging between 22 and 41 here. Not that conductive to epoxy....
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

I cut all the stringers this evening. I'll epoxy and tape the seams tomorrow night. I should be able to keep my garage warm enough for the epoxy to cure. If I'm going to notch my stringers and frames, should I splice the stringers on one side and then splice the other two stringers on the other side, then epoxy glue the two long stringers together?

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

FluidDynamic wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:41 pm The epoxy cured. No problem.

I placed the transom a little earlier. I ran out of 2x4's so I had to temporarily brace the transom. I'll build something more substantial tomorrow. On my plywood cuts, does it matter if it's off a little. The transoms edges overlapped each other a little. I'm assuming this will be taken care of with either sanding or epoxy putty? I guess the stringers are next. I've been checking the cross dimensions and the dimensions between each frame. Everything is lining up. The stringers should go in no problem. The stringers will be cut with notches. I'll have to cut notches in the frames.
What is the transom angle at the DWL? It looks totally square to me. What am i missing?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Sometimes the pictures are deceptive. I also built my transom at 14 degrees to dwl, so that mght impact my perception.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

FluidDynamic wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:34 pm I cut all the stringers this evening. I'll epoxy and tape the seams tomorrow night. I should be able to keep my garage warm enough for the epoxy to cure. If I'm going to notch my stringers and frames, should I splice the stringers on one side and then splice the other two stringers on the other side, then epoxy glue the two long stringers together?
Do you mean splice with fiberglass? The two pieces of plywood used to make the stringer should have their joints offset by a foot or more. Once the two are glued together it is like one solid piece of wood.