Panga 20 Build

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Panga 20 Build

Post by FluidDynamic »

Yes, I meant fiberglass splice. The plans I have don't show an offset.

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

Yes, I meant fiberglass splice. The plans I have don't show an offset. They are to be fiberglass spliced. See the thread shown in the picture attached.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190111-213909.png

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

Don't know if the nesting drawings we're ever updated. It still shows the stringers that would have to be spliced. I think I misunderstood this post and thought they were supposed to be spliced. Oh well, they are cut and spliced already.

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:21 pm
FluidDynamic wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:41 pm The epoxy cured. No problem.

I placed the transom a little earlier. I ran out of 2x4's so I had to temporarily brace the transom. I'll build something more substantial tomorrow. On my plywood cuts, does it matter if it's off a little. The transoms edges overlapped each other a little. I'm assuming this will be taken care of with either sanding or epoxy putty? I guess the stringers are next. I've been checking the cross dimensions and the dimensions between each frame. Everything is lining up. The stringers should go in no problem. The stringers will be cut with notches. I'll have to cut notches in the frames.
What is the transom angle at the DWL? It looks totally square to me. What am i missing?
It's just the picture distorting. There is an angle. I don't know what it is. The motor wells provided the angle that was specified by the plans.

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

I epoxy glued the stringers this morning, cut the notches on the frames, and braced the transom. I should be able to place the stringers on the frames tomorrow.
Attachments
IMG_20190112_195539.jpg
IMG_20190112_195557.jpg
IMG_20190112_195614.jpg

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

I have a question about using epoxy on fiberglass. When I built a paddleboard, I used cloth and filled the weave with multiple coats. Am I supposed to fill the weave with multiple coats of epoxy with the 12 oz biaxial cloth? If I only have to place one coat of epoxy on the hull, won't the sander eat some of the fiberglass cloth away. I'm a little confused on the steps to get to where I have a fair surface.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Have a good look at the FS17LS build by shine on builders power boats. It goes through the steps. There may also be a tutorial in the How tos.

In brief.

Lay glass and when it kicks but before full cure you can fill the weave with a loose mix of epoxy, cabosil and or a microballon filler.

Then after it sets grind down obvious highs with a power sande

Then fill lows with fairing mix. WEST 407, 411 or similar

Longboard

Longboard

Longboard

Longboard

Longboard

Longboard

Longboard

Longboard

Longboard

Longboard

Prime

I missed most of the above in my dinghy, so it looks a bit rustic.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

FluidDynamic wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:38 pm I have a question about using epoxy on fiberglass. When I built a paddleboard, I used cloth and filled the weave with multiple coats. Am I supposed to fill the weave with multiple coats of epoxy with the 12 oz biaxial cloth? If I only have to place one coat of epoxy on the hull, won't the sander eat some of the fiberglass cloth away. I'm a little confused on the steps to get to where I have a fair surface.
The sanding generally touches off the knitting or the stitching in biax. That stitch is a telltale and not part of the main fiberglass. There are basically two methods.

You can attempt primary bonding by fairing while the boat is not fully cured or working on green epoxy.

Or, you can sand the surface using the thread as a telltale and realizing if that thead vanishes, you have sanded plenty. Then follow sanding with fairing and the dreaded longboard.

You can try a weavefill approach, but I would not weavefill the knitting. It would be pretty deep..
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

D

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:38 am
FluidDynamic wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:38 pm I have a question about using epoxy on fiberglass. When I built a paddleboard, I used cloth and filled the weave with multiple coats. Am I supposed to fill the weave with multiple coats of epoxy with the 12 oz biaxial cloth? If I only have to place one coat of epoxy on the hull, won't the sander eat some of the fiberglass cloth away. I'm a little confused on the steps to get to where I have a fair surface.
The sanding generally touches off the knitting or the stitching in biax. That stitch is a telltale and not part of the main fiberglass. There are basically two methods.

You can attempt primary bonding by fairing while the boat is not fully cured or working on green epoxy.

Or, you can sand the surface using the thread as a telltale and realizing if that thead vanishes, you have sanded plenty. Then follow sanding with fairing and the dreaded longboard.

You can try a weavefill approach, but I would not weavefill the knitting. It would be pretty deep..
I see the stitching your talking about after my splices cured. So, sand it down until the stitching are gone. Won't there still be areas that will not get touched by the sander. Does this matter?