Coach's SC-16 in MA

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Coach's SC-16 in MA

Post by Coach »

So this is the start of my new obsession...a Bateau Build SC-16. I purchased plans for the FS-17 over a year ago but wasn't ready to start anything. I then purchased the SK-14 and SC-16 plans to see the differences and to decide what I wanted to build. I have decided to build something in between them all. I want a boat around 16 feet to fish the inshore rivers and lakes near my home just North of Boston. Most of my fishing in the bay is in no-wake zones so I don't need speed. I have been fishing off my JetSki and in kayaks but its time for something a bit bigger and more comfortable to fish while standing. Its possible I would take this SC-16 across the bay to Misery Island which is only a little over a mile from the shoreline but only on a good day.
I want something with more freeboard than the SK-14.

Here is what I fish off of now:

While researching the forum I was smitten with Hermine. What a beauty. Hermine and the SC-16 is very similar to what I want to build but just slightly wider and with a bit higher shear as I want to add a sole, and gunnels. I guess very similar to the FS-17-LS but shorter and lighter weight. I am planning only a 9.9hp tiller and with a grab-bar seat in the center with a portable fuel tank under the seat. There is a SK-14 from Australia on this forum with very similar setup to what I have in mind. If Hermine is the svelte super-model, I am more interested in the girl next door, maybe a little wider in the backside! :lol:

I spent some time with the plans and made some changes on paper, then decided to build a template out of masonite in my basement workshop this winter to make my mistakes, learn from the process and then once happy, cutout the panels in 7mm okoume. Its 1mm over the specs but I think it will help me with the stiffness I need to prevent any twisting since I will remove the center thwart seat. I will look to add frames under the sole and up to the gunnels with an inside wall. I think the sole, stringers, inside wall and gunnels about 4" wide should work out ok. I am willing to give it a try.

Once I am happy with the template and build the side and bottom panels out of okoume, stitch them together to check the fit, I will move my strongback outside as I cannot move a built boat out of my basement. I will have to wait until the spring rains end late April so until then I will learn from this process and from the good people of this forum.

After spending a couple hours clearing the first snow today I setup the frames on my strongback and screwed the side panels to the frames in order to step back and see her lines. I can see some mistakes I need to correct with Frames "E" and "A" but wanted to share my progess:

My Strongback: I may shorten it a bit...the bow tip is resting on it!

Side Panels joined with West System Epoxy and Tape:

Frames:

Side Panels:
ImageImage

I hope it's ok to make these kind of changes to this design.I don't wish to offend Jacques. If I am heading in the wrong direction and towards ultimate failure, please let me know. Otherwise I would like to try something others have inquired about. A modified SC-16. I am in no hurry and have some time this winter to play around in my basement with my new obsession.

It's been a long day...time to watch the Pats!

Coach Mitch

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Coach's SC-16 in MA

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Welcome Coach, you are off to a great start!
Craig built a fine sc16 in Hermine, he will be tickled that you used his build in your research. 8)
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

It will work but why?
BTW, you can use the real transom at this stage, not need to make a particle board transom.

Feel free to play with the hull shape but keep in mind that changes have a snowball effect. in this case, you bottom panels will be different.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach »

Thank you Jacques! Yes my plan is to get the hull shape correct on the form and then measure from center line and transfer to a 24” x 16’ bottom panel leaving some overhang to trace the final cut.

I really want to stay around 16’ and keep power low. I prefer the hull shapes of the FS or LM over the SC-16 which is why I widened the Transom but I dont want a really flat bow like their low sheer versions.

I would be open to suggestions before I head too far down this path. I have no experience to have a strong opinion.
Just looking for a fun project. I built a very nice wood fired brick oven a few years ago. Never laid a brick before in my life.

Hope I enjoy this boat building process as much as I did finishing that oven!

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

Hi Coach, welcome to the forum. It’s great that we’re getting a lot more New England builds than I have seen before. I drive past Beverly down the 93 almost every day going to Logan. I’m looking forward to following your build. If you want to look at a very standard dory build I’m in Derry.
Alan.

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach »

Thanks Fair WX Pilot! I work in Merrimack, NH so I am going to the opposite direction every day! Been following your build, looking great!

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach »

So this morning I made a change to the transom. I think I originally made it too wide for the natural curve of the side panels and I am happier with the lines now. My question is am I supposed to have all frames center line level from Frame A all the way to the Transom? I have it setup that way on the strongback now but it seems I either have to lower Frame A and Frame B OR I have to recut the bottom angles? Frames C thru Transom seem to be ok at level. I do need to slide back Frame B and Frame C about 1/2" but wanted to ask beforehand if I should be lowering them too. I need the side panels perfect before I measure and cut the bottom panels. Thanks in advance for the advice!

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

With the changes you're making there will be times you won't be able to follow the plans exactly, but the normal procedure is to mark the base line on all the forms/stations/molds and level those to each other. At the bow it is not uncommon to have to trim the strong back for clearance, you'll want to maintain access to the underside of that area. Take some time to read through the tutorials, they cover the general process.
Hank

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach »

Thank you..after resetting frames A and B things fell into place much better.
I did have to add a small camber to frame E. I have started to draw out the curve of the bottom panels by measuring from a center line string pulled tight from Transom to Bow and transferring to the plans drawing at each 24" typ mark. Doesn't look too different on paper but will see how it pulls together when I cut the panel and stitch them to the side panels this coming weekend.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

This seems like a lot of trouble to go to just to test some changes to the basic design! You could have the hull built for similar effort.

When I decided to modify the upper hull and deck layout of Jacques Mangusta 20 design, I just built a 1/10th scale model to test my thoughts (easy to do with the metric plans) .................

.......... then just built the hull! :D