Wouter's PH18 Namibia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Wouter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Wouter's PH18 Namibia

Post by Wouter »

Made some progress over the last few weeks.

Finished wet sanding the gunnel and polished it, went around three times, looks pretty good! Had some issues while sanding, it turned out that some of the flakes actually came loose and would end up under the sanding paper and before you know it, would cause a scratch. I probably should have given it another clear coat after wet sanding, but I ended up sanding out the scratches and polished over it. Still looks pretty good!

Fitted the bow mounted NAV light.

And tested the Wiring, WORKS :-)

Rub rail is fitted, both sides, finishes the sides off nicely. Struggled to get end pieces for this rub rail, so I made some wood pieces that I have now made a silicone casting of and plan on making some resin casting to go on the ends of the rub rail to give a clean finish.

Finished the switch plates and test fitted all the console goodies, everything seems to be fitting well and I think the layout will work well. The left side upper plate gets 5 switches for the pumps, the middle one gets the switches for all the instruments, and the right one - switches for all the lights.
Bottom left will house a 12v socket and a 12v lighter plug. The right bottom will house 2 digital volt meters so I can check the voltage of the house and trolling motor batteries.

Also started with the carpeting, after I painted the rear deck. Carpeting is a slow going process and takes some time to get right 8O

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi Wouter,
Your boat looks fantastic and I wonder how you get everything on it so perfect. If my boat would be so perfect I hardly would dare to put it in the water.
When will be your splashing time and where will you mainly fish with your boat ?
Build on and always let us see your progress.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Wouter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Wouter »

Hi Karl,

Thanks for the compliments!

I'm hoping to be ready for the Splash by August, have a big event I would like to attend with my own boat :-)

Predominantly I'll be fishing the Kavango, Kwando and Zambezi rivers.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

It is an amazingly beautiful boat.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

antoniekruger
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by antoniekruger »

Ja, boet - that looks really good. Bagging composites is a great way to get a good finish. Is that a refuge black bag? Great work.
CC14 splashed
CS23 almost there

Wouter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Wouter »

Correct Antonie, standard black refuge bag :lol: It does the job! At least for flat parts that don't have sharp edges that could poke a hole in it. 8)

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

Stunningly beautiful ! Wow. Cant wait to see her with the motor attached...
My Son calls me "The Fish Whisperer" I love it !

Wouter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Wouter »

Finished the trim pieces for the rub-rail.

Used balsa to make the original plugs, then made a mold out of silicone and corn starch mixture - worked very well! Poured in colored epoxy en Bob's your uncle, nice clean sturdy weather proof end pieces. 8)

Bow section rub-rail end piece

Stern rub-rail end piece

Painted the bow deck section. Taped off a piece in the middle just so that I could reach everywhere with the spray gun, will do that middle section this weekend.

Also took the plunge and got the Trolling motor, Motorguide 82lb, 24v with transducer for the bow mounted fishfinder.
Test fitting it here. Looks pretty good and leaves plenty of deck space :roll:

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Nicely crafted end pieces. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Bob is certainly your Uncle! That is just too much! You would be scary with a 3D printer. Love the craft you employ throughout the whole boat, but those end pieces blow me away. Such a small detail and yet so important to the big picture. She is amazing!

Nice trolling motor too... 8)
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman