K2FS18 - Stats

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Dutch1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: K2FS18 - Stats

Post by Dutch1 »

Man it looks good. Thanks for posting the pics and the weights. I'm curious about the weight of mine. I can lift the back up pretty easily but I still want to weigh it like you did once I'm done.

Is that a Lowrance Carbon unit you have mounted? If so, I'm interested to hear what you think of it.

Steve

K2FS18
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by K2FS18 »

Dutch1 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:06 am Man it looks good. Thanks for posting the pics and the weights. I'm curious about the weight of mine. I can lift the back up pretty easily but I still want to weigh it like you did once I'm done.

Is that a Lowrance Carbon unit you have mounted? If so, I'm interested to hear what you think of it.

Steve
Lowrance elite 9Ti

Still trying to figure it out. Was not really interested in the fish finding abilities, just wanted a good chart plotter that I can see in the sun and polarized glasses. That it does well.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Beautiful work Dutch1!!! Hope your grandfather is doing well!!! Jeff

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Nice ride. Well done!

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

K2 your boat looks great. As you found with the factory prop top speed should be in the upper 20's. I ran your boat stats and motor stats through my prop calculators and came up with the following. For best performance I would suggest a 4 blade Power Tech prop Group A SRT-4 9.5 x 9. I could better nail it in if I knew what your stock prop was. A 4 blade hangs on to water better with better rake and cup usually.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

K2FS18
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by K2FS18 »

Tom, the stock prop is a 9-7/8 x 11-1/4-F aluminum Yamaha prop.

I am currently running a Power Tech SS SRA4R9PYM30

Thank you for running these prop numbers.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Yep you should be able to trade the prop you have for the SRT for about $70 and try it. The SRA is a Class B prop with a 10" diameter and minimum pitch of 10" according to there catalog. I think you mean an SWA with a diameter of 9.25" and a pitch of 9". Let me know if I am wrong. Any way the smaller prop over the SRA will allow you to get up to speed faster and still allow you to raise the motor up with the four blade prop.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

That is heavy for an FS18. Have you been running her for very long? I am pretty sure mine weighs around 300 pounds and it's quite a bit bigger..
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

K2FS18
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by K2FS18 »

AtTheBrink wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:51 pm That is heavy for an FS18. Have you been running her for very long? I am pretty sure mine weighs around 300 pounds and it's quite a bit bigger..
Been running for a while. Keep in mind that the weight does include all the wiring, fuel lines, hardware etc. that I could not get a manufactures weight from. The engine is listed at 126lbs, but that is for a short shaft, where this is a standard shaft. So the overall hull weight is inflated. I did make larger decks and the sole is full from back to front and all foam filled to top with the sole being 1" higher under the decks. Perhaps I do have a little leak somewhere, but I don't think there is any room for much water to get into the area below the sole. I have crashed the oyster bars several times. I had 4 or 5 layers of graphite epoxy on the underside, but I do have some areas that are cut through a layer of glass, but not into the wood.

But anyways, it is what it is. If I was to build again, I am sure I would be able to cut out some excess weight.

Mike, I stopped by to visit with you when you where building. Thanks for your time and input as it got me motivated for this build. Pretty sure you got the very first LM18 before they where actually designed.