New design: Tina

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

New design: Tina

Post by jacquesmm »

I designed her 2 years ago for the Port Aransas Museum at Farley Boatworks.
They have the original: a 21' inboard from around WWII, they call it a Tarpon Skiff. President Roosevelt fished on that boat.
The boat is getting old and Farley Boatworks asked me if we could adapt the design to our plywood composite. Somebody else had taken the lines, that was a good starting point, the hull is within a fraction of an inch of the original. From the lines and some measurements I took, I drew three versions: one inboard, one for a single outboard on the transom and one with a bracket. The bracket is the reason why it took me two years: it does not fit that nice classic boat. I couldn't get it look semi-decent. Two weeks ago, I decided to drop the bracket and got back to work on it.
The picture shows the inboard version, I am still working on the drafting of the outboard but the model and calculations are 100% complete.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: New design: Tina

Post by glossieblack »

She looks a beauty Jacques. What inboard horsepower do you suggest? And what will she draw?
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I designed her with a diesel 6 cylinder 200 to 240 HP depending on the marinization. The plans show a Toyota block available as Yanmar or Nanni diesel.
A Yanmar 4 turbo would work too or a Cummins, same engine beds.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Beautiful JM!
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

I like! Maybe my last boat. What will she do? Speed, distance.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man »

Looks like 2 could sleep.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I like the looks of it but I would like the sound of a small block V8. Is it a semi displacement?
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

There was a very similar boat at the show this past weekend. It was probably the original. Really neat boat. My son and I spent quite a bit of time looking her over. There was no info on her so I'm not real sure. It looked identical to your drawing, down to the color. It would be a great fishing boat. Classic Port Aransas boat.
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

Instead of a bracket, what about a euro transom instead?
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.

Dr. Pete
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dr. Pete »

Atthebrink/Mike. Visited with you in PA and congrats on your boat. The “Tina” at the show that you cite is the craft under discussion and the new design JM has delivered. You got it pegged