New design: Tina

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: New design: Tina

Post by AtTheBrink »

Dr. Pete, I remember ya. I saw you and Dougster working hard at the boat building tent on Sunday. I didn't want to interrupt.

The Tina is going to make a great boat. Definitely lighter and faster that the original boat. It would be a fun build too.
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

jacquesmm wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:03 pm I designed her with a diesel 6 cylinder 200 to 240 HP depending on the marinization. The plans show a Toyota block available as Yanmar or Nanni diesel.
A Yanmar 4 turbo would work too or a Cummins, same engine beds.
I love this design! Please let us know when plans will be available. I really like the inboards :D

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

AtTheBrink wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:56 pm The Tina is going to make a great boat. Definitely lighter and faster that the original boat. It would be a fun build too.
Possible stupid question for Jacques... Given that the hull weight using the more modern material is almost certain to be lighter than the original construction, does that need to be compensated for in some way (such as using a heavier powerplant, carrying more fuel/batteries, etc) so the boat will trim and handle correctly? Or is it not a big enough difference to matter in the grand scheme of things once the boat is fully fitted out?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

The outboard version is complete.
There is no engine box and that frees the middle of the cockpit but we loose some room to the splahswell.
The splashwell looks large because it is designed for max. 250 HP, the length is an industry standard. If we make it shorter, some engines will not be able to tilt all the way up.
It does not have the skeg of the inboard but if it was my boat, I would have a small skeg about 1" square. I"ll show it on the plans.
The side console is part of the character of the boat.
I should show some fishing chairs in that cockpit.

The hull lines are within 1/2" of the original. It has some tumblehome in the sides at the stern but the boat can also be built with straight sides there.
The small posts supporting the end of the roof are optional. They don't exist on the original boat but, if we have a handrail along the rear edge of the roof, it could break when jumping a wave with two big guys hanging on there. We could use carbon and forget about the posts but that's not the style of the boat.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Netpackrat wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:29 pm
Possible stupid question for Jacques... Given that the hull weight using the more modern material is almost certain to be lighter than the original construction, does that need to be compensated for in some way (such as using a heavier powerplant, carrying more fuel/batteries, etc) so the boat will trim and handle correctly? Or is it not a big enough difference to matter in the grand scheme of things once the boat is fully fitted out?
The new version is a little lighter. The builder can compensate with more gear or use a small amount of ballast. I started with several 100's lbs difference but increased scantlings and assuming that that cockpit will be filled with "stuff", only a little bit of trim ballast will be needed.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Beautiful boat. I love the style of the older designs. :D

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Really well done again Jacques!!! Nice boat!! Jeff

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Really nice Jacques,
If I was a bit younger I'd jump on that in a minute,
Love the lines
Completed: FL14, OD18

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Love it!

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

That's a really handsome boat, well done.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349