Heat and epoxy

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Heat and epoxy

Post by silentneko »

So we all know that cured epoxy can soften with heat, but what about when the heat is gone? Is the epoxy permanently damaged, or does it reharden?
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Heat and epoxy

Post by jacquesmm »

It becomes hard again.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

Awesome.

The reason I ask is I have become a big fan of heating my wood parts (cleats, brackets, hatch lip...) prior to neat coating/epoxy priming them. It makes a huge difference, instead of the resin pooling on the surface it gets pulled deeper into the wood. On occasion I'm adding a cleat or neat coating a part that is secured prior to glassing the rest and just wanted to make sure I'm not permanently damaging anything.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Interesting idea.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I have to check that. Some heat in the sun is one thing (that was my reply) but deliberately heating the resin may have other effects.
Somebody should ask System Three.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

In the TDS for silvertip epoxy there is a "Heat Deflection Temperature" of 128°F and a "Maximum Service Temperature" of 160°F.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1000/ ... 2554198805

I read that as it gets soft above 128°F and could be permanently damaged above 160°F. I also remember the post cure temperature for silvertip being 140°F but I can't find the source for that. If you are using a different epoxy I would find the TDS from the manufacturer to find out what temps are safe.

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

140 or 160 degrees is more then enough. I'm just heating it so it's warm to the touch. I've read that to be most effective you should heat a surface to about 30 degrees above ambient temp. If I had to guess I would say I'm maybe around 120 degrees or so.

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

You should be safe then if you are using silvertip. Whenever I am doing the first layer of glass over bare wood I also raise temperature and let it drop as I work. End up with no bubbles as the wood is trying to pull the resin in as you say.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Yes, I would think the cooler liquid epoxy will cause the surface temps to drop as soon as it starts touching it unless you are heating the wood for a few hours in a oven where more than the surface is heated up.

Just me guessing out loud. :doh:
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Now I have been epoxying outside in sunlight and the wood is being heated up and got bubbles due to the wood still being heated.
A. A. Milne