Wahoo 160 LTS "SPLASHED"

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
BassMunn
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Wahoo 160 LTS

Post by BassMunn »

Well talk about a frustrating 2 weeks of boat building :x
2 weekends ago I spend like 5 hours wiring up this beautiful switch panel (well I thought so anyway) with these Chinese Bocatech knock off type switches, only to find out that 4 of the 6 switches are faulty :roll:

And I thought well there is no way these will handle a saltwater environment if they are already giving trouble, so ditched that idea and had to get the trusty old toggle switches and had to make a whole new panel because the hole sizes were different.

Spent the rest of the weekend - 9 hours in total trying to fish my engine wiring loom through my chase tubes (yes I forgot to leave an extra line with which to pull it through :oops: )
And connected up my fuel line, control cables and steering cable to the motor.

This last Saturday morning went to watch my son play Rugby in the morning and then rushed home to work on the boat, fitted my switch panel and got everything connected up and working beautifully, really impressed with the clarity of the new Lowrance Hook 2 units, much better than the older Elite series (Pre-Hook version)

In my switch panel wiring I used a small little timer module for my livewell pump made by a place called timer.shop really cool little unit and works fantastically well. Bit of a procedure to programme it, but once it's done it works perfectly.

Anyway I then move on to wiring my engine loom up to my new ignition switch and kill switch, yep you guessed it a cheap Chinese version. I look at this switch and it only has 3 terminals instead of 6 and no colours, but it has the letters B, I and S and like the tired dimwit I was on the day after being at it for 12 hours I think Black, Ignition, start instead of Battery, ignition, start. One key turn and I hear pop :help: , needless to say I packed up for the day and went and sulked, Sunday morning I checked and I have definitely blown my starter solenoid (relay) and hopefully nothing else.
So waiting for payday so I can order a new solenoid and proper ignition switch as I only realised after thinking about it properly that the switch I have will work to start the motor but it doesn't have a shut off circuit so every time I want to turn the engine off I have to use the kill switch and I know those cheap push button kill switches go dicky pretty quickly.
Thank goodness I didn't have my accessories connected up to the power when I made my rocket scientist engine wiring of the motor move or I would have a few very expensive paper weights.

Maybe the Easter bunny will bring me some good luck and possibly even a colour coded wiring diagram and a big stick

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Sorry to hear about your woes, sounds like you're pushing yourself to get done quickly. Your boat is turning out nicely, if that's any consolation!

This won't help you now, but it may help someone else: to get a line through a conduit you can use a shop vacuum and a roll of string. Tie a piece of paper or small rag to one end of the string and let the vacuum pull it through the pipe. Don't forget to hold onto the other end of the string!

We recently had our utilities put underground, and they used that technique to pull string about 200 feet. They used the string to pull a rope which they used to pull the wires.
Hank

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I have used the vac method a few times and it works great and very fast.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

BassMunn
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BassMunn »

pee wee wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:05 am Sorry to hear about your woes, sounds like you're pushing yourself to get done quickly. Your boat is turning out nicely, if that's any consolation!

This won't help you now, but it may help someone else: to get a line through a conduit you can use a shop vacuum and a roll of string. Tie a piece of paper or small rag to one end of the string and let the vacuum pull it through the pipe. Don't forget to hold onto the other end of the string!

We recently had our utilities put underground, and they used that technique to pull string about 200 feet. They used the string to pull a rope which they used to pull the wires.
Thanks Pee Wee, that's a really good idea, never thought of that. I have one of those roll up spring steel fishtapes, but it kept on getting stuck under the steering cable on a sharp bend trying from both directions, that Vac idea would have worked much better

BassMunn
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BassMunn »

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Sounds good. I was sort of thinking it was going to be a launch video but I am sure you will post one of that soon :D

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

Wow! You sure turned that boat into something to be proud of! When I first started reading this thread I had some doubts but you did a great job. Great looking boat!
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

BassMunn
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BassMunn »

Thanks Fuzz and AtTheBrink.

Well to say the last few weeks were a test a will power is an understatement, been so busy at work and because of the crime riddled country we live in I can't work on the boat at night as it just creates too much of the wrong kind of attention.
Also didn't realise how long the last few little things would take to finish on the boat.

Made a new trailer board (we use removable trailer boards or the beach and sea destroys them when launching), made up and fitted the scuppers and lots of other little things like rod holder straps, sealing up all the hinge screw holes and so on.

Got my seat cushions made up for me and fitted them.

Then after waiting nearly 9 weeks for my VHF Short range certificate I finally got all my paperwork ready and went down to my boat club yesterday and got her Sea worthy certificate. She still hasn't touched the water as my son is busy studying for exams and my wife was flying out on a business trip a few hours later, so thought discretion was the better part of valour :D

Overall very happy with how she looks and I got a few nice comments at the club...."Wow that's beautiful who makes those" :lol: :D

Still need to fit my trolling motor, but trolling motor or not she is getting wet this Saturday, might just pop her into a small reservoir to test her first and work out the bugs (Or just put my mind at ease)

Oh total rig on trailer weighs 2332lbs without fuel, trailer weighs about 550lbs so boat is about 1800lbs or thereabouts. Will go up a bit with the trolling motor, trolling motor battery and about a ton of fishing gear and sandwiches :D

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Bravo!!! Masterful job Shannon!
Absolutely gorgeous rebuild. :D
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Like AA said that is some superb work right there.