PH18 Build in North Dallas (PH20)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: PH18 Build in North Dallas (PH20)

Post by MarkOrge »

Beautiful woodwork Casey. Your boat is a work of art.

I just responded to your query re HP.

As a Project / Health and Safety Manager for Johnson Controls, glad to see everyone is wearing their PPE !
My Son calls me "The Fish Whisperer" I love it !

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

MarkOrge wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:57 pm Beautiful woodwork Casey. Your boat is a work of art.

As a Project / Health and Safety Manager for Johnson Controls, glad to see everyone is wearing their PPE !
Casey did I miss your question on motors and HP.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Have not seen any updates lately, last post you mentioned you were getting busy. Hope all is well.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

cvincent wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:25 pm You made a very smart decision by designing hatch access on the backside of the console. I had lots of fun installing my Yamaha binnacle remote with only access through the front of the console.
Thanks! With all the stuff I am bolting on this boat I figured it would be wise.
MarkOrge wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:57 pm Beautiful woodwork Casey. Your boat is a work of art.

Got it. Thanks! I just asked another regarding the fire extinguisher.
TomW1 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:36 am

Casey did I miss your question on motors and HP.

Tom
I could not remember what size motor Mark had on his boat. I am planning on the 115 HO.
OrangeQuest wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:52 pm All that work looks really good. You sure you want to put all them nice looking pieces of wood on a boat? :D
OrangeQuest wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:45 am Have not seen any updates lately, last post you mentioned you were getting busy. Hope all is well.
Thanks!

Yes it has been very very busy. For me March and April are quite busy with work, tax season, helping people with investments, etc.

Finally I hope to get some time back on the boat.

Casey

Here is one update of some glass my brother in law and I put on the console - specifically the cut out where the speaker goes.

Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement

Jwhitakeriii
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Jwhitakeriii »

Can't wait to see this thing finished. Good job!

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

Jwhitakeriii wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:29 pm Can't wait to see this thing finished. Good job!
Hey thanks! I am looking forward to it being on the water.

Casey
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Ahhh, nice to see you getting a little free time! It would be nice seeing that beautiful boat on the water but have missed seeing your craftsmanship in action.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

OrangeQuest wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:59 am Ahhh, nice to see you getting a little free time! It would be nice seeing that beautiful boat on the water but have missed seeing your craftsmanship in action.
Thanks OrangeQuest!

Here is today's progress. I got the first three rod holders epoxied into position. The tolerances of these things are within 1/8th to 1/2 inch in each direction. The back rod holder is for a switch rod, with the one I am eyeing having a 4 3/4 butt section, so I made the tolerance 5 1/4. It had to hang low enough not to hit the gusset. The lowest rod holder had to be high enough so the bottom of the reel was not rubbing on the floor, and the middle one had to split the difference top to bottom and allow a person to take the rod off the holder without them bumping the rod above. Then they are all three angled downward a tad toward the three holes in bulkhead B. It took a few hours to dial in but I think I have it right where I want it.

Next up will be the other three, and then the three I made to hold the net.

Casey

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

With all 6 rod holders now epoxied into place I am proceeding with sanding all the lockers. I then plan to seal all the dry hatches with two coats of epoxy and the live well and bait well with three, before I do any fairing on the inside of the lockers. I should not have to fair much because the area of each locker that is seen should not be all that bad to fair out. They look pretty nice and flat already.

Once the fairing is complete I plan for one more coat to seal the fairing compound, then the rails to be epoxied into place, and then on goes the paint. I plan to paint the op of the rails after I rout the gutter. The paint I purchased is gray. Hopefully this section comes together well.

Casey

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Really like the way your build is coming together. Very nice work!
A. A. Milne