Coach's SC-16 in MA

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Coach's SC-16 in MA

Post by narfi »

That looks very nice!
Is it wet in the pictures?

One trick before painting is when you wash it and it is clean and wet, see how the water sticks too the surface. If the whole thing looks clean and shiny like your picture here, the primer should stick well, however if there are spots where the water beads up, then you need to work on those areas either for smoothness or cleanliness.

Just imagine the pain and primer will stick to the surface the same as the water will, any place the water beads up can create potential runs when painting or priming.

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach »

Thanks guys! Yes its damp. I sprayed water and wiped the dust off. Capt UB I am with you on a smaller lower profile rub rail. I am thinking of leaving a small roundover reveal at the top of the gunnel and drop the rubber rub rail down about 1/8” to 1/4”. Thanks for pic..I think the 30 will do the trick!

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach »

Dougster I am happy to hear you have had success just priming directly over the quick fair with the S3 primer. That is what I was hoping to do!

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

Coach wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:10 pm Thanks guys! Yes its damp. I sprayed water and wiped the dust off. Capt UB I am with you on a smaller lower profile rub rail. I am thinking of leaving a small roundover reveal at the top of the gunnel and drop the rubber rub rail down about 1/8” to 1/4”. Thanks for pic..I think the 30 will do the trick!

You need to look at the shapes of the rub rails.

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach »

CaptUB..this is what I am thinking its going to look like. Except I would roundover the top and ease the edge on the bottom of the rub rail.
Is this what you mean? I just want a bit of a reveal at top and bottom of rubber rail.
A question for another day is how everyone planes out the top of the gunnel if the side panels are at an angle. Hand-held power planers?

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Coach wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:49 pm A question for another day is how everyone planes out the top of the gunnel if the side panels are at an angle. Hand-held power planers?
Thats what I did with my canoe and was really happy with the results.

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach »

Not much time this weekend but was able to get the skeg on. It will have to sit for a couple weeks so I cleaned up the thickened epoxy along the edges of the skeg so that I didnt have to deal with sanding the fillet. I will plan on adding the fillet and fiberglass tape all in one go. Offset the skeg 12" from the transom and its a little over 6' long. Its 1" x 1" . Here are a couple pics:

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Looking good!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach »

Returned from my cruise to Bermuda to celebrate my son's high school graduation and got some work done this weekend laminating the rub rail. 3 layers of leftover 7mm okoume - 1.75" wide, taped the skeg and was able to lay down some filler over the tape as well as some touch up quick fair.

Have a couple questions..what do you guys do to clean up the bottom of the rub rail. I did my best to clamp the layers in line but there is some variation to the layers. Can I run a block plane along the bottom? Not sure I can use a laminate router bit with only 3/4" of width to the rail?
Or am I just being picky? I do want to round over the bottom edge with a 1/4" roundover bit. Maybe thats enough.

Also..I know I need to round over the bow rail but is there a right way to do it? I was thinking of measuring out 3/4" from the bow, mark a line, cut to the same angle and then round over with my rasp and RO sander.

I added a pic of the cutoff from the rub rail...lamination looks pretty consistent. Happy with the results.

Nexts steps...More fairing, Sanding gradually to 220 grit and get ready for System 3 primer during the Fourth of July weekend.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

She's looking really good!