Heat and epoxy

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Heat and epoxy

Post by fallguy1000 »

I am gonna skip the post cure on the cabin. Don't want to build an oven and the cabin won't be done until winter.

The cabin is less critical, so will be interesting to see differences. All fairing was going to be done later...but perhaps it would be better to do a pass of the balloons and silvertip first..
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

fallguy1000 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:49 pm Lots of expertise in that article.

Now, I have to bunk my whole boat and avoid it becoming rubbery.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

TomW1 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:14 am

Somewhat serious Tom.

Does the epoxy soften enough to allow a 2' span to sag?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

fallguy1000 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:14 am
TomW1 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:14 am

Somewhat serious Tom.

Does the epoxy soften enough to allow a 2' span to sag?
Dan quite seriously only if the temp gets over 160 and is maintained for a period of time does any deformation occur Post curing raises the deformation temp higher than 160 by 20-40 degrees. Again this is by memory as I lost my curves in my house fire. I don't want to give a false sense of security to those in our southern climes.

I hope that answers your question. This is a complex subject and what System 3 now has printed is about 1:10 of back when we were really studying the subject.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Dutch1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dutch1 »

silentneko wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:50 pm Awesome.

The reason I ask is I have become a big fan of heating my wood parts (cleats, brackets, hatch lip...) prior to neat coating/epoxy priming them. It makes a huge difference, instead of the resin pooling on the surface it gets pulled deeper into the wood. On occasion I'm adding a cleat or neat coating a part that is secured prior to glassing the rest and just wanted to make sure I'm not permanently damaging anything.
This works really well. I figured it out recently when I had a piece I was putting epoxy on out in the sun (98 degrees). There were a couple of spots that would keep bubbling. I pulled it in the shade and it stopped bubbling within a minute. My theory was the plywood was gassing out from being too hot. I tried again with another piece and let it warm up in the sun and then added epoxy in the shade to check my theory. Not one bubble. And I like the idea of it drawing in the epoxy if it can.

BTW, I'm using marine epoxy.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Must not have been today! Much needed rain today... :D

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

fallguy1000 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:14 am Does the epoxy soften enough to allow a 2' span to sag?
There is a joke in the homebuilt communities surrounding Rutan's homebuilt designs and their derivatives, VeryEZ, LongEZ, Dragonfly, Defiant, Cozy mkIV, Velocity, etc......
(hotwired foam cores covered in fiberglass)

"You can paint it any color you want, as long as its white."

I know they have gatherings in warmer regions including the Caribbean and their white wings haven't sagged off.
There is data out there on the interwebz on how hot different colors of painted surfaces will get in the sun.

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

narfi wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:59 pm There is a joke in the homebuilt communities surrounding Rutan's homebuilt designs and their derivatives, VeryEZ, LongEZ, Dragonfly, Defiant, Cozy mkIV, Velocity, etc......
(hotwired foam cores covered in fiberglass)

"You can paint it any color you want, as long as its white."

I know they have gatherings in warmer regions including the Caribbean and their white wings haven't sagged off.
There is data out there on the interwebz on how hot different colors of painted surfaces will get in the sun.
It's too bad the Berkut people were never able to stay in business in the long term. There have been a few of those painted in colors other than white. The autoclave cured carbon fiber skins seem to have been tolerant enough of heat to allow it. When they were in business I think they would sell just the skins to builders of the other Rutan canard derivatives too.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I'm cookin my hulls to 145 for 2 hours, so bunking poorly is scary.