Nonskid opinions

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Nonskid opinions

Post by Bogieman »

Hello everyone. I'm in need of some opinions/ suggestions about nonskid types/ brands etc.

I'm in the process of fairing the cockpit and seat tops of my AD16 and will use nonskid in those areas. The plan is to use Systems 3 primer to be followed by EMC paint. There are a lot of options...

Thank you

Bogie

cvincent
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Nonskid opinions

Post by cvincent »

I have the EMC non-skid and kiwigrip on hand but I have not decided which one to apply. The kiwigrip is easy to apply and touch up. The EMC paint with non-skid is easier to clean but is more difficult to apply. It's a tough choice.
Completed D15, Completed PH18

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I am going to be testing EVA foam soon. I ordered some but then also found some at the local art supply store today in white and black. All of our paddle boards use the stuff and they all have been holding up nicely. I don't think it is the same grade as the art supply has.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan »

I'm going to use Kiwigrip on my cockpit floor. Was going to put SeaDek down but now think it would be impossible to keep clean - especially with the red dirt from places we like to fish. I will still use SeaDek on the decks, steps and gunwales.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Does the Kiwigrip go on before or after primer or after paint? I've got things pretty fair in the cockpit andI'm wondering if the Kiwigrip will alleviate the need to have stuff close to perfect underneath it...

cvincent
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cvincent »

The kiwigrip can go directly over primer or paint. You need to lightly sand the primer or paint with your choice of 100 - 220grit sandpaper. After sanding clean the surface with a damp rag. I use damp microfiber cloths to clean up the dust.
Completed D15, Completed PH18

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Bogieman wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:50 pm Does the Kiwigrip go on before or after primer or after paint? I've got things pretty fair in the cockpit andI'm wondering if the Kiwigrip will alleviate the need to have stuff close to perfect underneath it...
I’ve used kiwigrip a half dozen times. I like the stuff, it’s easy to put on and has great traction.
As cvincent said, be sure to rough up the surface you are putting the kiwigrip on-100 grit is perfect for this.
Do not skip or do a half job sanding or you will regret it later on.
In my experience, kiwigrip sticks much better to primer than shiny paint-even sanded shiny paint.
Kiwigrip will cover up a LOT of fairing defects, kind of like texturing sheetrock.
Use the loopy goopy roller to put on the kiwigrip, at least the first coat.
I mention first coat, don’t panic if you see a little bit of primer through the kiwigrip when you roll it on.
You can go back with a smooth roller after the stipple drys to cover any small missed spots.
Last thing, don’t get the impression that kiwigrip doesn’t get filthy.
I clean it with a solution of 50/50 outdoor sudsing bleach and water.
When the kiwi starts looking dingy after hard use or a couple of years, bleach it and throw on a light overcoat to freshen up the deck...
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Kiwigrip is easy to apply.

The tinting part is a bit of a pita; trial and error method.

Application is easy and as others said, covers imperfections like a dream.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Ok thank you everyone! That answers all my questions. Kiwigrip it is!!!!

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

One thing Cracker warned us about is that when applying Kiwigrip, be forewarned of its tendency to splatter from the roller. Otherwise, I really liked using it and it's a great surface for traction.
Tony