Panga 20 Build

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Panga 20 Build

Post by FluidDynamic »

Great. Alexseal isn't readily available as EMC. I know someone who rolled and tipped their boat with Alexseal and I couldn't tell that it wasn't sprayed.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

OK, just let me know and I will get you a quote on Alexseal paint!!! Jeff

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Jeff wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:11 pm FluidDynamic, We have not sold Alexseal Paints in the past but I just had a recent request regarding this brand and I have a supplier where I can get it easily here in Florida. But boy, is that stuff expensive!! Makes EMC & AwlGrip look cheap!! Just let me know when you want something priced!! Jeff
FluidDynamic wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:31 pm Great. Alexseal isn't readily available as EMC. I know someone who rolled and tipped their boat with Alexseal and I couldn't tell that it wasn't sprayed.
Jeff wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:45 am OK, just let me know and I will get you a quote on Alexseal paint!!! Jeff

That "recent request" was from me lol :D

It is expensive but I am still leaning toward using alexseal myself. I've been reading good things about their paint but what really is pushing my decision is from this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtD0wvNAjD0
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Nice video. It kind of reminded me of when I used EMC. I ended up not tipping at all, but then I am no painter and not too critical. EMC says it is also able to be buffed and touched up, but I haven't tried that yet. This stuff is all pricey but a miracle for those of us with no painting experience.

Dougster

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

The same guy did an EMC video and it looked like it didn't flatten out like the Alexseal. How did your EMC turn out? That guy is also painting in a controlled environment.

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

I am having a dilemma. I'm wondering if I should fiberglass my rubrails now and paint or should I wait to put the gunnel cap on over the rubrails and then have one continuous layer of fiberglass. The fiberglass would go over the cap and then go down over the rubrails. I'm afraid of the connection between the cap and the rubrails cracking and separating down the line. The filet in the pic already has a layer of glass over it. Right now, the rubrails has a coat of epoxy on it except the groove. The epoxy was applied with peelply. I just need some help deciding the sequence of construction. I have some fairing still left on that fillet.
Attachments
IMG_20190626_201640.jpg

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Glass now.

Paint.

Flip.

Gunnels.

Glass to glass edge.

Caulk intersection.

You might need to use spray adhesive to keep the glass in the right spot at the end.

What about epifanes 2 part?

Really looked great in my samples.

I'm gonna use it.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

I used epifanes clear varnish before on a paddle board. It turned out great. Never thought about the paint. I'll check it out.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I don't understand why you would not have a continuous piece of glass from the rub rail to the gunnel cap? If the gunnel cap over laps the top of the rub rail then lapping the glass past the edge of the cap will help seal the edge of the plywood or am I not understanding correctly?
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

OrangeQuest wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:48 am I don't understand why you would not have a continuous piece of glass from the rub rail to the gunnel cap? If the gunnel cap over laps the top of the rub rail then lapping the glass past the edge of the cap will help seal the edge of the plywood or am I not understanding correctly?
I think he wants to glass over the gunnel and down onto the hull, but after paint it is tricky to wrap it all the way around the rubrail.

Here is a sketch of how I'd try with some assumptions about the gunnel/rubrail shape.

Black is now.

Blue is later. Requires masking boat...big deal.
A56BC1E0-77BC-4181-ACB5-894D080E4D36.png
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495