Panga 20 Build

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Panga 20 Build

Post by Dougster »

I've had fits with pinholes, even with quickfair at times. Someone told me to use this:
http://www.sikkensnamobile.com/Products ... tegoryId=7

Sikkens Kombie Putty

It's an automotive product and has held up for several years so far with no problem (on S3 primer topped with Sterling and EMC on another build). I put a tiny bit on my finger, rub it in, wait 10 minutes, then sand it off. Works like magic for me.

Dougster

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Quickfair has worked for me to fill pinholes. Fill with Quickfair then sand with 220 grit after it cures and recoat with primer.

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

Before I fill holes, I'm marking all imperfections. What's wierd, is the front of boat has pinholes, but midship to aft, there are no pinholes. Also, no pinholes on sides.
Attachments
IMG_20190812_214048.jpg

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

I have discovered something about pinholes. Pinholes seem to like to form when you don't kite the original coating well, or it doesn't grab the surface well. Then they fill with dust or contaminants and don't like to fill again.

Clean them as well as possible and use a lot of pressure over them on a couple passes, then a lighter pass to clean off the compound and see if it helps.

I will be doing lots and lots and lots of fairing in the coming weeks, stay tuned.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

I filled all pinholes with quick fair. Should I plan on priming the whole boat again or should I spot prime and feather it in with sanding. Also, the sanded primer areas feel completely smooth, but I can see where the tops of primer was sanded and a little unsanded primer in the low spots. Do I need to sand it down where there are no unsanded areas, or will the topside paint cover those areas. Imagine the surface of a golf ball where the highs were sanded and the lows we're untouched. That's what surface is like. Of course it's microscopic compared to the dimples of a golf ball.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

FluidDynamic wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:26 pm I filled all pinholes with quick fair. Should I plan on priming the whole boat again or should I spot prime and feather it in with sanding. Also, the sanded primer areas feel completely smooth, but I can see where the tops of primer was sanded and a little unsanded primer in the low spots. Do I need to sand it down where there are no unsanded areas, or will the topside paint cover those areas. Imagine the surface of a golf ball where the highs were sanded and the lows we're untouched. That's what surface is like. Of course it's microscopic compared to the dimples of a golf ball.
Primer and topcoat generally enhance imperfections.

The stuff the Bertram guys are using 'sprayfair' for anove the WL is the magic I think. You can roll it over epoxy primer; torture board to perfection.

Very curious about it, bit spendy.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jwhitakeriii
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Jwhitakeriii »

FluidDynamic wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:26 pm I filled all pinholes with quick fair. Should I plan on priming the whole boat again or should I spot prime and feather it in with sanding.
I have the same question. I think I'll just spot prime the areas and feather. The build is looking great

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

Any pointers on sanding the primer? It's difficult to sand? S3 primer.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

My experience is 80 or 100 and go slow. Otherwise you’re going to keep applying primer.

It is easy to sand compared to wood floured epoxy. Hard to sand compared to fairing compound. Remember you’re not clearing highs and lows... that’s fairing. You’re just making to smooth and pretty for a fancy top coat.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

I think I'm going to put another coat of primer over whole boat after sanding through in alot of places. After the next coat, how can I sand and not sand through the primer. It feels very smooth, but if you shine a light, I can see a slight orange peel. Can't feel it, but can see it. If I have to sand this down, wont I keep sanding through the primer.