OD18 - NH

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: OD18 - NH

Post by cape man »

Too funny! I had to go back and read about laying down the glass on the sole with just hardner and read a bunch of the posts between me and the folks here to find it. That was an adventure! Maybe I do need another boat... :help: :help:

Don't tell her.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Chuck H
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chuck H »

If the spilled epoxy bothers you, scrub it with wood flour, soak it with alkyhol or acetone and use wood flour to soak up whatever remains. I did it when I dripped 2 stroke oil right in the middle of a $130 sheet of meranti. It disappeared.

But I don't think you have a problem if you're sure it's epoxy.

Chuck

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

Well as usual work has been getting in the way of boat building. If anyone has a cure for this please let me know. I have been around water though and have now seen just what a home built "working boat" finish is supposed to look like.
I doubt if this guy had ever heard of fairing compound. It is a good example however of just how little messing around you have to do to have a serviceable boat as he was out fishing and earning money every day.

The under sole structure is now complete and I have most of the chase tubes in place. Its nice to start seeing all the ideas materializing.

I've started trying to work out how much foam to order for under the sole. Looking at most of the other build logs it seems to be more than 4 gallons and less than 6 gallons so I guess I'll have to order 6 gallons to be on the safe side.
Alan.

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach »

Go with 6 gal. I ordered 2 for my SC16 and it wasn't enough. Ordered 2 more gallons and had some left over. Build is looking good!

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

Coach wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:13 pm Go with 6 gal. I ordered 2 for my SC16 and it wasn't enough. Ordered 2 more gallons and had some left over. Build is looking good!
Thanks Coach, I am of the same opinion so 6 gallons it will be.
Alan.

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

So today I completed the chase tubes and started cutting the holes in the sole. I went with 1.25" for the fuel line as per Cape Mans advise. I used 1.5" for the steering and loom runs. I also went with 1.25" for trolling motor power. The rest is either 1/2" or 3/4".

I used only 45 deg. bends on the steering tube to prevent binding on the Teleflex cable. Hopefully the angle of the pipe where it exits the sole will allow for a gentle bed toward the motor.

Having added up all the services that will have to be fed through the 1.5" wiring loom tube and not knowing how big the Yamaha loom might be I had second thoughts and snuck in another tube to be on the safe side.
Alan.

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach »

Looking good! Since I just did my foam let me share what I did. I bought a $3 plastic paint mixer paddle and put it in my electric drill. I mixed the BBC foam for 45 secs and poured. I used clear solo cups with a measured mark. One for A and B. Worked like a charm. Also used same mixing cup for next batch. The residual foam did make the reaction go faster but seemed to expand further as I went along. Good luck! Looking great!

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

Coach wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:48 pm Looking good! Since I just did my foam let me share what I did. I bought a $3 plastic paint mixer paddle and put it in my electric drill. I mixed the BBC foam for 45 secs and poured. I used clear solo cups with a measured mark. One for A and B. Worked like a charm. Also used same mixing cup for next batch. The residual foam did make the reaction go faster but seemed to expand further as I went along. Good luck! Looking great!
Thanks for the advise. I've not used this foam before so I'm sure it will be a good learning curve until I get it right.
Alan.

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

Spent the weekend trimming the sole panels and measuring and cutting holes for the chase tubes. Plotting the hole location wasn't hard but took a long time. I made butt blocks from some scrap to join the panels in areas that aren't supported.

Just the aft panel to go but this one needs quite a lot of measuring and cutting. Once I get these all cut and the scupper drain built I'll go ahead and order the foam as that will leave me to seal everything with a couple of coats of epoxy while I wait for it. Knowing BBC it will only take a couple of days to arrive.
Alan.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Just tell us when and we will get your Foam on its way!!!! Jeff