Panga 20 Build

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Panga 20 Build

Post by Jeff »

FluidDynamic, good to hear from you!! Yes, the weather has been crazy hot for most of the South East!!! Look forward to seeing some photos soon!!! Jeff

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

So, I know I've been asking the same questions, but see the photo below. I have put three coats of system three on then sanded it. I put a guide coat on and the only way to sand all of the guide coat off is to sand the primer almost off in some spots. I guess I'm having trouble with orange peel and to sand the guide coat out of the orange peel leaves little primer on the boat. I'm not sure if I need to put another three layers of primer on again and try again. It was really hot and high humidity when the primer was applied. Could that have caused the orange peel?
Attachments
IMG_20191008_210746.jpg

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

I can't make out anything from the pictures.

On my build, we experienced heavy pocking when using a standard cabosil and balloon mix.

We switched to Quikfair at the end and went over the entire boat, but we use concrete trowels and worked in 3 oz batches.

We found that regular trowels were flexing and pulling too much material back off the hull. And we found that QF is indeed too fast to skim in larger quantities than 3 oz.

My hunch is that you were simply not smooth enough. If it were me, I would trowel out the boat tight with Quikfair and resand with 120. Sorry. But try a small area and see.

What was your final grit?

And you are spraying or rolling?

Did you wash the boat first? Was it dry enough?

I sort of doubt orange peel, but can't tell from pics.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Rtorres2411
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rtorres2411 »

I rolled and tip the primer on with good results and it has been hot and humid here in central Florida. I did the hull with 3 coats and before painting sanded using 120 grit. If I didn’t tip the primer It would have orange peel.

Your boat is looking great 8) .

Ruben

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Rtorres2411 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:51 am I rolled and tip the primer on with good results and it has been hot and humid here in central Florida. I did the hull with 3 coats and before painting sanded using 120 grit. If I didn’t tip the primer It would have orange peel.

Your boat is looking great 8) .

Ruben
What roller did you use?

Orange peel on a primer coat is generally not a big issue as it is getting removed/sanded.

But the final topcoats; big trouble.

If he is going through the primer coat to the guide coat; he is not just sanding orange peel.

Rtorres2411
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rtorres2411 »

I used cheap foam roller, applying the primer with light pressure. Used a chip brush to tip to get the few air bubbles to pop and the primer basically self leveled. Also system three primer have to be left to sit for 20 minutes after mixing before applying.

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

I rolled it with the mini EMC quantum mohair rollers that are sold here. I did not tip it. Said they were for use of primer only according to the website. Should I be using the foam rollers with he system three? I let it sit for whatever time the can recommended. I washed and cleaned with TotalBoat dewaxer and surface prep. Final grit before cleaning was 220. Its definitely orange peel. Looks like my paint on my sheetrock walls, but not as bad. The hull is fair, but there may have been some slight highs and lows that the primer has now filled. I'm thinking that another couple coats of primer will sand smooth now. Just hoping I don't get the orange peel effect again.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

FluidDynamic wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:40 pm I rolled it with the mini EMC quantum mohair rollers that are sold here. I did not tip it. Said they were for use of primer only according to the website. Should I be using the foam rollers with he system three? I let it sit for whatever time the can recommended. I washed and cleaned with TotalBoat dewaxer and surface prep. Final grit before cleaning was 220. Its definitely orange peel. Looks like my paint on my sheetrock walls, but not as bad. The hull is fair, but there may have been some slight highs and lows that the primer has now filled. I'm thinking that another couple coats of primer will sand smooth now. Just hoping I don't get the orange peel effect again.
Went on too thick.

Use thinner at a higher %.

Rtorres2411
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rtorres2411 »

Try tipping it with a brush, I think you will be surprised with the results if you tip it. It will smooth out imperfections and any bubbles left behind.
I have mixed several batches of system three primer and didn’t see a need for thinning it as the 4:1 ratio it calls for the primer is thin enough.

Ruben

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

I'm finally done sanding the primer. I'd say half the primer is gone after sanding through. Can I put on one more coat of primer and then sand before the topcoat? Or would I need to put on a couple of coats of primer and then sand? The system three primer is extremely hard to sand the orange peel out.