Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Eric's C21

Post by jacquesmm »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:10 pm Hey, Eric. Are you inclined to build any camber into the deck so it drains to the side, or just make it level?

I’ve been wondering about what approach is best.
The decks have camber as designed but the sole is flat. I count on the boat to move enough to drain. That's the way it is in all production boats but some lifeboats and surf boats have camber in the sole. It's rare.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

piperdown wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:23 am Just wondering couldn't you have kerfed the side cleats to make the bends? Then fill the kerfs with thickened epoxy and put in place?

Regardless, looking great Eric and am I thrilled to know you're moving forward on the boat!!
Yes that could have been done and I considered it. I felt this was faster and equally as good a technique.
Thanks Piperdown. :D

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

jacquesmm wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:44 am
Dan_Smullen wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:10 pm Hey, Eric. Are you inclined to build any camber into the deck so it drains to the side, or just make it level?

I’ve been wondering about what approach is best.
The decks have camber as designed but the sole is flat. I count on the boat to move enough to drain. That's the way it is in all production boats but some lifeboats and surf boats have camber in the sole. It's rare.
I have also seen the reverse done: to put a very gentle lift in the corners of the sole where it meets the frames, just to prevent water from pooling in the corners. Whether it's worth doing or not I have no idea but it's an interesting concept but I think Jacques' point is well taken: the boat should ideally be either covered up on on the water and if it's either of those, the water should be leaving on its own.

I would not camber a deck in a boat with exposed frames, though: that's directing it to an area with built-in obstructions.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

That is my plan for the exposed frame. An old boat of mine had that issue. Over time rot developed there. Polyester layup, not mine, factory build.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Eric1 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:56 am That is my plan for the exposed frame. An old boat of mine had that issue. Over time rot developed there. Polyester layup, not mine, factory build.
Great points, Eric and Cracked Ribs!

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

I'm going to try and do some glue work today. I've been down since last Thursday with my back again.
I'm trying to think ahead on my build concerning where to place everything. I want to do a through hull pickup.
Do I need to make shims to plumb this vertical or is it ok to mount it at the angle to the hull? I'm nervous about cutting a hole in my hull. :lol:
I want a wash down and bait tank so this is a must.
Last edited by Eric1 on Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

I'm going slow but making progress. The cleats are on the sides out to first frame.

I'm using the left over mix to fill the top of the stringers between the other cleats.
At least the end grain of the ply will be sealed. Don't mind me, just looking for a silver lining.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Really nice, but you know you are going to want to do some sanding there! :)
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Thanks. I will sand to confirm level.

I added these vertical pieces to gap fill the front and back of the fuel tanks between the frames.

I want to do a through hull pickup.
Do I need to make shims to plumb this vertical or is it ok to mount it at the angle to the hull? I'm nervous about cutting a hole in my hull. :lol:
I want a wash down and bait tank so this is a must.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Your work looks outstanding as usual for you.
The only time I have worried about mounting a transducer level is when it was for a depth sounder and even those I only did for bigger boats.