LM18 Round Chine Low Sheer

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Rtorres2411
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: LM18 LS RC

Post by Rtorres2411 »

Nice progress Capt.

Ruben

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Bloody bling! :lol:

Oooh.... foam!

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

So I decided to cut up the casting/fore deck for ease of handling. Glad I did, Central Florida weather turned hot.....

So the front part of the fore deck (no storage under this, just a 5" round screw in/out inspection hatch), is glued in. Found the hull/bow pulled down from the deck a bit. No big deal, a little wood flour fixed that.

Now that the next area has more support, just laying the deck down you can feel how sound it is. When I cutout for the hatch I can add more cleats if needed.

I now regret painting the inside of the front storage area, will need to sand and repaint later.

IMG_20191214_143722962~2.jpg

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

Well got some things done today!

Got the next part of the deck glued down.

Tomorrow I hope to sand the fore deck and seal the ply. I still need to install the side decking and aft deck. That part will be a bit later.
IMG_20191214_160446706~2.jpg

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

Things are looking good. I'm glad I did not make the foredeck (got the spell check fixed) bigger. There is enough room for a casting platform or a big cooler.

I hope to get more done in the next few days. I have not done any cleanup yet, sanding shaping....

IMG_20191215_074708481~2.jpg
IMG_20191215_080541938~2.jpg

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

She's looking great, CaptUB!

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

Bogieman wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:45 am She's looking great, CaptUB!

Thanks.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Yes, Looking good!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice!! Jeff

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

NIce :)

I had laid down masking paper in my pre-painted underseat compartments, before gluing down the seat tops. I was able to get under them through hatch openings, so I could smooth the fillets, and later remove the masking paper. This preserved the painted areas during the glue up, eliminating the need to re-sand and re-paint them. Not sure if that will help you in other sections of the build. You could pull out masking paper through the hatch opening, once you cut that out. :)

And after it is glued down, and the masking is removed...
Actually, I pulled the paper after the fillets had been smoothed, since they would not run anymore (I used that sort of thixotropic blend), and while smoothing the uncured fillet, some had spread over the masking tape edges. Since they were not yet cured, after I pulled the tape, I was able to smooth them a little more where the tape edge had been. I'm thinking they might well outlast me, being mostly protected in those compartments, although I do need to wipe them down once or twice a season from humidity and mold trying to get started with its ugly funky thing. :lol:

I had planned hatch openings positioned and big enough for me to reach in there enough, but it is a bit of a contortionist operation.

It is a little extra work, but it saves much more work later. Frustrating is the masking tape expense. :x :help:

:lol: