AD16 (Tipsy) Myrtle Beach

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: AD16 Myrtle Beach

Post by das boot »

I feel bad I could have told you that the tint would not work on plexie been there dun that. I tried lexan on my boat but there is to much of a curve in the boat and it cracked twice. Drilling the holes is simple just run the drill real slow and you will have no problem. Getting the glue from duct tape off is easy just put some gas on a rag it comes right off with that in one swipe. I wondered on the paint when I saw the picture with the dew on the boat been there and dun that but by the time I saw it it was to late the damage was dun. Your boat is coming along fine looks real good keep it up is you need you can get me on the phone or email any time.

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

I have formed simple curves in plexi over a form and using a kitchen oven to heat it to the temp required. The landing light lenses for this airplane were made over a felt covered form that I built:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzgvLrawsE4

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Thank you everyone for the kind words and input/ advice.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Sooooo, I have been monkeying around and swearing way too much in my attempt to fabricate a sliding hatch that would make me happy. And I've managed to waste some money and materials. I've decided to abandon the sliding hatch and proceed w/ my original plan : a lifting hatch that pivots on two fulcrum points on each side of the hatch. This hatch will not slide but rather lift to pivot forward to a fully open or aft to a fully closed position. I know this might not be ideal but it will be functional. It will be easy to lock in an upright position too. Anyway, just a little thinking out loud as I enjoy a few Heinoken and ponder the situation further.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

Bogieman wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:09 pm Sooooo, I have been monkeying around and swearing way too much in my attempt to fabricate a sliding hatch that would make me happy. And I've managed to waste some money and materials. I've decided to abandon the sliding hatch and proceed w/ my original plan : a lifting hatch that pivots on two fulcrum points on each side of the hatch. This hatch will not slide but rather lift to pivot forward to a fully open or aft to a fully closed position. I know this might not be ideal but it will be functional. It will be easy to lock in an upright position too. Anyway, just a little thinking out loud as I enjoy a few Heinoken and ponder the situation further.

Don't hate me for saying this..... You can have both!

I never had one that did both, but have seen them.

How it worked was when you had the dodger up you would slide the hatch back. Nobody could step into the opening because of the dodger, when the dodger was off, the lifted hatch would/could stop you from setting into the opening

Also, you can build it without a (I call it) weather hatch cover, it's what the hatch slides into when open. Not as water tight without it...

The book "This Old Boat", I think has a very nice and simple sliding hatch build.

What ever you do, it will turn out nice. She is coming along very nicely.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

I'm not clear what you have in mind, but whatever choice you make, be sure that the horizontal (top) part of the hatch will support your weight, or more than your weight.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

terrulian wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:12 pm I'm not clear what you have in mind, but whatever choice you make, be sure that the horizontal (top) part of the hatch will support your weight, or more than your weight.
Make sure it supports MY weight!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by das boot »

hatch is no problem mine was quite simple and has worked for years the nly thing i had to get that is not wood it the two ss strips one on each side of the hatch that it slides on and they screw down to the top of the vertical sides that you already have in place on your hatch opening and they stick over the outside edge of those two hunks of wood by 1/2 inch you build your hatch and slide it int place with a lip on your hatch that extends under the SS strips by 1/4 inch on each side.and you slide your hatch nto place once it is in place you screw the two ends plates of your hatch into place it will slide well and will not come off unless you remove the screwed on ends simple

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Jaysen wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:37 pm Make sure it supports MY weight!
Hey I thought you were going to be down to a fly weight by now :doh:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Fuzz wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:27 am [quote=Jaysen post_id=460983 time=<a href="tel:1575671868">1575671868</a> user_id=79239]
Make sure it supports MY weight!
Hey I thought you were going to be down to a fly weight by now :doh:
[/quote]me to. Tell the loose moose to stop baking.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.