Panga 20 Build

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Panga 20 Build

Post by fallguy1000 »

I am struggling with some orange peel as well. I am finding the orange peel more in areas which are low.

You really want to have primer and not fiberglass or filers before you final coat.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

FluidDynamic, good to hear from you and I hope your weather has improved greatly!!! Yes, go ahead with another coat of primer, then sand!!! I am really looking forward to seeing another Panga completed!!! Jeff

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

I'm almost done sanding the system three primer. Whoever said this stuff is easily sandable is wrong. I'm using a festool 150 on the most aggressive setting and I'm still having to work it to get the orange peel out. I'm going to have to put another coat of primer on. Should I try hand sanding as soon as its sandable? Maybe this stuff is hard to sand after fully cured. In my opinion, it's harder to sand than epoxy.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Yes sir you want to get on it early. The longer you wait the harder it gets.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

So, a couple of lessons I learned.

First of all, fair and fair again. Longboard fair the most.

After fairing, apply carbon guide powder. Then fair some more after the guide powder shows problems.

Then a coat of primer or of you are really fair a couple coats or in my case 3 coats after your first few coats on a less than fair boat!

Then I let it harden. (Epifanes)..

Hard as nails. Then I too sanded with the Festool rts400 with 220 grit. A sheet of paper lasts about 15 square feet and then chuck it.

Start sanding too early and it will corn on the paper.

Most likely you are not changing papers enough.

We had better success with the rts400 than rotary sanding. If you were gonna rotary sand for a better finish; you could use the two in concert. Cut with the quarter sheet sander and smooth with a rotary.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

If you don't thin or use a hd foam roller; you will have more orange peel as well.

The op is caused by thick paint applied unevenly.

I had a lot of it.

For my final coats; I just applied 3 no sand coats, so I could sand it back noce and even. It isn't perfect, but is is flat with some sanded down orange peel dimpling here and there. Think it'll look okay. And probably look really good on a repaint on 5-10 years.

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

I put 3 coats of system three primer on before I started sanding. I think the boat was not sanded properly before the primer went on. After sanding off almost half of the primer, I think the lows/imperfections have been filled. It is super smooth now. Hopefully, I can just put one more coat of primer on and then sand to 320. Hopefully, I won't sand through. This primer ordeal has been tough. Sanding it 3 months after it was initially put on is really difficult to do. Its extremely hard even with 120 grit. I'm now sanding with 120 and then moving up to 220 in prep for hopefully the last coat of primer.

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

My sand paper is lasting 4 sq ft. I'm going through sanding discs quick. I'm using festool granat.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

FluidDynamic wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:27 am I put 3 coats of system three primer on before I started sanding. I think the boat was not sanded properly before the primer went on. After sanding off almost half of the primer, I think the lows/imperfections have been filled. It is super smooth now. Hopefully, I can just put one more coat of primer on and then sand to 320. Hopefully, I won't sand through. This primer ordeal has been tough. Sanding it 3 months after it was initially put on is really difficult to do. Its extremely hard even with 120 grit. I'm now sanding with 120 and then moving up to 220 in prep for hopefully the last coat of primer.
Personally, I would not sand to 220 for a primer coat. I would sand to 220 for the final topcoat.

We ran 120 for the primers and had no issues with fills. Then, of course, I did put 3 layers of primer on for that final 220 sanding. I would think 150-180 would cover for another primer coat and you'd cut more imperfection with it. My sandpapers are actually going about 4 feet on 32" panels, so more like 10 sq ft with the rts400 quarter sheet sander.

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

Struggling with finding the weather to put last coat of primer on. It was 70 degrees today and 55% humidity, but I didn't have paint rollers or supplies to finish it today. Everything's closed. Looks like another week to wait before humidity is below 90%.